Royal Gold lover needs new film, sugestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benthos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was such a big fan of Kodak royal gold 100 I stock piled it when they discontinued it and now I'm out. I tried Fuji Reala about a year ago. It has a VERY fine grain but it lacks the "warmth" of Royal Gold. The reds, yellows, purples and oranges on my nudi macros looked flat and unsaturated. My 20mm shots also looked greener instead of the rich blue I used to get with RG. They lack the warm "pop" I used to get with Royal Gold. Has Superia Reala gotten any better in the last year? I was looking around the old posts and someone said Reala's color saturation was better than RG's now. What are other shooters using for print film now?

Any suggestions (besides "go digital") would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

No experience using it yet, but Kodak is selling a "HD" High Definition film here in Australia which AFAIK replaces Royal Gold in this market.

have you tried Agfa? I haven't been shooting film in a long time but a couple of years ago I ran short and bought Agfa at a supermarket of all places...can't remember the exact name...100 speed and was amazed...wonderful purples, pinks and oranges (think nudibranchs!)

I used to use the Royal Gold 25 and loved it for special creatures, but the Agfa really sold me...probably don't even make it anymore, but it's worth looking for...

High Definition is Kodak's replacement film for Royal Gold. I'm not sure about a 100 speed version. My own preference is for Fuji Superia 200. I like the extra stop in speed and the fact that Superia has a 4th color layer. Superia is more contrasty than Reala and is a better film for underwater use.

i will third the velva use as the colors are so vibrant you cant help it, as for the kodak HD film thats out it is a thumbs down in my opinon, royal gold had more snap then this, the HD is just to snappy on contrast edges for my taste. now if you dont mind spending extra money on film look at kodak professional supra, or the portra series of film, as those really have a good color definition.

but thats just my opinon(also do a search under my name and i have another psot with my views on various films (print-negatives, through slide)

FWIW
Scubatooth

I agree that the new Velvia 100F is nothing short of awesome. Most of my underwater photos are done on chrome film. I find 100F to be more forgiving than Velvia 50. I think it's more useful for wide angle where Velvia 50 has a tendancy to render darkly shaded areas completely black.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom