Film for Beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The answer to "Which film is best for a beginner?" is, it depends (you knew someone had to say that).
If your emphasis is on results, then 400 speed (with the ability to make a photo workable in more conditions than slower film) is a good idea.
If you want to LEARN, then I'd suggest using slide film (at least for the first few rolls). Because slide film does not get printed and tweaked all over the place, what you shoot is what you get, and it's easier for a beginner to tell if the shot is under or over exposed, and where the flash is actually reaching.
And if the MX10 is still the same as when I owned one, it only handles 100 and 400 speed film.

Im not sure how to attach a single photo to a post (see my failed attempt above) :) , so I'll try to post a link to my webshots photo albums. Please keep in mind that these photos are my first EVER underwater photographs. Most are pretty crappy but I really like a few of them. I wish I could just attach and post the ones I like to get a few opinions on them. I hope some of you will take the time to take a quick look. The best photos are primarily at Vortex Springs. Most of the Morrison springs photos are terrible, but there is one really good one of the cave entrance at about 55 ffw. The first photo in the Morrison series was not taken by me, so I want to be clear that its someone elses work. I included it for reference only.

http://community.webshots.com/user/mkinsel

If you're hunting a free hosting site that will allow you to post specific photos, you might want to check into Scubaclicks.

When I was still using film, my absolute favorite was Fuji Reala ASA100. It was easily available, great color saturation and very stable from roll to roll.

Dee once bubbled...
If you're hunting a free hosting site that will allow you to post specific photos, you might want to check into Scubaclicks.

When I was still using film, my absolute favorite was Fuji Reala ASA100. It was easily available, great color saturation and very stable from roll to roll.

Thanks for the tip on Scubaclicks. I'll check that out. What is the difference between ASA film and ISO film? Most of what I see sold in standard outlets (drug stores, Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc.) is ISO film. Im guessing I could find ASA film at photography stores?

Sorry....it used to be called ASA and that's how I remember it.

ISO is the same thing. But please don;t ask me the difference... it's long been lost to other details.

Hello,

Kodacrap gold your kidding right? Grab you some bricks off fuji reala 100 film and some tmx and you'll be set. Don't bother with any higher speed film it's a waste of money.

Ed

ASA stands for American Standards Association, ISO for International Standards Organization. The numbers remain the same, though.

Now, as a shooter of some experience, I recomend 400, or even 800, for beginners. Why? Well, it has to do with exposure lattitude. Basically, this means, how off can you be with your settings, and still get a good shot. The faster films have up to a plus 6 over, and a minus 3 under, so they can be printed to give you a good shot, even if you are quite a bit off. (I would stay away from slides, as they require you to be VERY precise.) With the quality of films produced today, a 400 speed shot can be blown up to an 11x14, with little or no loss of detail due to grainyness.

Good shooting!

TJ

Shut up and Dive!

The mx-10 has a fixed shutter speed of 1/100 sec. This can cause problems with a slower (asa 100) film, the camera will not be able to compensate for the lower light by slowing the shutter down. You probably could get away with some shallower shots but if you seriously want to shoot it with 100, consider the external strobe unit.

Hope this doesn't cloud the H2O any more...
-Crispy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom