Rookie Wreckers first NJ dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe how many divers are Up Chuckers.
I usually don't have any problems. when I go down in the cabin to take a nap and the boat is tossing and turning, I just close my eyes and visualize the churning seas bouncing the boat around.

DEEPLOU:
I can't believe how many divers are Up Chuckers.
I usually don't have any problems. when I go down in the cabin to take a nap and the boat is tossing and turning, I just close my eyes and visualize the churning seas bouncing the boat around.
I'd have to agree with you. I didn't think so many people had seasick issues.
Seems like a major setback for a diver.

You know what I think is the worst,
when you see one person saying to another, sometimes a little too closely,

"You look like your gonna puke, You know if you're gonna puke the rail is right here,
You sure you're not gonna puke cause you look like you're gonna puke.
It's OK, Joe over here just puked, and Bob here puked and a ..."

This is loosely translated by the poor fellow as, "...puke...Puke...PUKE...PPPUKE..."
Well, you know what happens next.

(This happens with drunk people too, but usually someone is shaking them as well.)

BTW, this thread makes me wanna ...., any guesses?

BLAAAAAAHAHHHAHAHA! BLAAAAAAAAAAAAALALALALALALAAL!

That's kind of how that guy sounded right before the second dive.

I have gotten barfing down to a science, almost. I am polite, and usually can tell people with my index finger pointed in the air "Excuse me, I'll be right back". I puke demurely over the rail, wipe my mouth, and continue with my conversation. That only comes with practice, though. :D
It's a major setback, you are quite correct about that, XJae. Sort of like a millipede with bad knees. I can handle shortish boat trips (~20 miles offshore), but any more than that, and I am paralyzed. It's a real curse. Those of you who do not experience this lovely phenomenon should be counting your blessings. It sucks worse than I can put into words, but a friend put it well when he described it as
"At first, you are afraid you are going to die, then you are afraid you are not going to die". That pretty much sums it up. :wink:

Barf City.

On my first NJ Wreck Dive, (The Seeker), I managed the first dive just fine. The 2nd? Couldn't do it. Fed many fishies. (Many.) Everyone was pretty cool about it, but I felt like kind of a lame #$#$ anyway!

I've since discovered Bonine and used it the night before and morning of an FL day trip. No problems. Of course, in many FL places, it's a 15 min boat ride. Can't wait to see how the drugs work on next NJ dive!

The odd part - for me anyway - is that I used to own a speed boat. Never got sick. I'm a light aircraft pilot as well. Turbulance? No problem. Dive boat? There's something about the diesel and the rolling moment, etc. Gonna' have to get my "sea legs" if I want to dive NJ I suppose!!!

Scott

Bonine worked fine for me in Aruba, but the longest rides were in the morning to the South shore 30 - 45 min.

Hmmmmmmm.

Reading this thread has not only brought me close to ....ing but now I'm worried.

Heading out on the Ursula out of Sea Isle City next Sunday the 27th. Now I'm REALLY hoping for calmer seas....

wrekdiver2:
Do you have any dive stories where you DON'T get sick????
:rofl: How did I miss this post?

I don't have very many! Doesn't it make you want to invite me to come out on your next trip to The Stolt? :D

SueMermaid:
:rofl: How did I miss this post?

I don't have very many! Doesn't it make you want to invite me to come out on your next trip to The Stolt? :D

I was actually quite curious why you hadn't responded to it sooner...

You are invited on any trip we have, but if you feel the need to...well, you know...please stay away from my gear...

this past Wednesday night it was very calm with a slight swell...but the bottom got colder...must have been from that south wind last Sunday...

Very calm. That's more like it. I may gather the courage to make another attempt this summer on a calm day, as I have STILL yet to see a Jersey wreck from any other place than the anchor buoy. I think I have made three attempts. (I have apparently blocked out the memories of them).
Not to worry, Brian, I am a very courteous puker. Nobody's gear gets it but mine. If you wave ham sandwiches under my nose, however, your gear is going overboard. Got it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom