Rookie Wreckers first NJ dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, this was like my first NJ wreck dive back in 1970. I lost a fin while getting back on the boat, and my cookies during the trip back to port. The veterans were chowing down on food that they warmed up on the engine.

In other words, a great experience.

grunzster:
11 of us went out on the Outlaw Saturday, including 4 Wreck Valley rookies. Originally had 5 us, but one couldn't make it after some problems carrying his rig out to his car Friday night!!!...
Wow, that was a great report Chris.

I suppose I'd be the one who wasn't tossing anything but gear around the deck. I'm not counting the one time after we pulled anchor and I was on the bow smoking a butt waiting for Wes to come up. It was those cherries anyway, just as well, they had to go to make room for jerky.

I got two great dives in.

We anchored into the rear of the port side. Seas were only about 3-4 feet at the time and the rain had just stopped. So over the side we went and made our way down the line to the deck at about 110'. There was a lot of nice growth down there. More than I expected on a wreck only down for about 15 years. Visability was about 50' and bottom temp a cool 43º. We cruised by the funnel along the port side rail, around the front of the superstructure and over to the starboard side. Along the starboard side of the cabin the covered walkway has since partially collapsed. See here about 2/3 down the page. The corner of the roof has fell to the rail, making a nice swim through. We entered from the fore end and made our way aft. There were a lot of nice openings, doorways and portholes to peer in. I see a powerful HID in my near future. We inched through the overhead and came out the rear next to the starboard side of the funnel. A couple of more pics, then over to the anchor line. A few divers had just descended. A couple of nods back and forth and up we went. We saw Chris coming down the line at about 30-40 feet and knew Rich was waiting for him at the tie in. BTW, we would have stopped you if we didn't know he was there waiting past the pea soup layer.

After a two hour interval we splashed in for dive two. The seas were picking up by now with 5-7 footers rolling by. Down at the rail the current had picked up, the vis dropped to about 35-40' and the bottom temp rose to 50º. We had the same plan and for the most part followed the same route, only this time going further towards the bow and on the return, along the starboard rail, stayed on the outside of the superstructure. Once again just past the funnel we found the tie in and headed up. The seas were kicking and at 15-20' impossible to hold onto the line. It definitely could have ripped an arm off. With a loose OK hand signal around the line, I would have thought the line whipping through the O would have worn a hole in my glove, but it didn't. I finished out the stop and made my way to the ladder. Luckily I grabbed on tight, felt like I was busting a bronco. Yee Ha!
Mental note: grab ladder as high as possible, less steps to climb.

On the ride back the seas picked up a little more. I would say over 10', but it was probably more like 8-10'. They were following us, so at the stern you could tell the boat was riding them and then as they broke it seemed like they were going to come crashing over the rail. Close, but not. Chris, next time you take a picture of me sleeping on the stern rail, right afterwards could you give me a little shake and tell me I'm about to fall in. Luckily I moved right before I fell asleep.

Final highlight of the day, we unloaded the boat, packed up our gear and I slammed the hatch down on my Jeep just as it started to rain again.

All in all I had a great time and can't wait to get back out there again.
I got a few good pictures. You can check them out here at the Wreck Valley Gallery.

Ok, with everyone else confirming that the conditions were at least as bad as I described, I don't feel so bad anymore. That was at least until I saw those pics and got bummed over my very short bottom time.

Everyone was just a little below where I passed you guys. By the time I got down most of the group was pretty close to the line, getting ready to come back up.

I had my LC 100 with me. Pretty powerfull light, did a good job of lighting that wreck up, but I see a canister in my future. Hands free = more gooder.

So when are we going back out?

Carl those are some really nice pics, did you have an external strobe on your camera?

sylvester:
Carl those are some really nice pics, did you have an external strobe on your camera?
thx. no strobe. that's the internal flash. it's only good for about 3-4 feet, hence all the close up shots. i don't plan on making a rig out of it, i like the way that the whole thing fits in my drysuit pocket. i just have to figure a safe way to stow the 16mm wide angle lens, which i left home this time. with 50' vis, they'd probably come out pretty good. maybe next time.

May I suggest the Trans Derm Scop patch for motion sickness. I used to be a cookie tosser but no more. I have been using the patch for several years and frankly I am afraid to stop using it.

I have been in 6-8 foot seas without a problem. It is amazing. I had to also modify my morning diet. No coffee, spicey meats and fruit jucies. I drink a pint of milk and maybe a bagel for breakfast.

The patch does give me a minor case of dry mouth but with lots of water (a good thing for divers) this is quite managable.

The patch is by subscription only but most doctors will prescribe it over the telephone. There are some people who should not use the patch so please consult a doctor before making this decision.

The over the counter stuff IMHO is dangerous because it causes drowiness and this is not a good thing for divers.

The Sea Band device is also supposed to work but you cannot wear it under the water. I have no idea how this works when removing it and then putting it back on. It may be too late after a dive and the boat is still rocking.

BTW, my sea sickness was even in relative mild seas so don't think that 2-3 feet waves are better. It only takes a bit longer for the beast to show up.

Bill, I used the patch I put it on the day before the dive at noon. Normally I'd have chummed as soon as I lost sight of land. This time I was feeling good till I began trying to help others get ready then I was done, and once that feeling hit me I was not able to recover.

I have to say though it was better then Dramanine and Meclizine, I did not get sleepy from using the patch just a bad case of cotton mouth.

BILLB:
The Sea Band device is also supposed to work but you cannot wear it under the water.
Can too! I wore two of them while I was on a Blackbeard's liveaboard. The only purpose they served was to give me weird tan lines. I borrowed them and had to clean the chum off of them before returning.

SueMermaid:
Can too! I wore two of them while I was on a Blackbeard's liveaboard. The only purpose they served was to give me weird tan lines. I borrowed them and had to clean the chum off of them before returning.

ouch! wre those the ones that use an electrical impulse or just the simple ones for $10 or so? rumor has it the electrical ones do work but they cost about $80 and i would like to hear some first hand experience before shelling out the cash.

Back
Top Bottom