Rookie from Winter Springs FL(Central Florida)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I love the saltwater and I love mother nature and I have always wanted to learn how to scuba dive!! I wish I could find someone that could me any type of low-down on how to save some money when it comes to taking PADI certification courses or why in the heck my local dive shops don't offer a course discount if you have already taken the online PADI $195 "open water" course already prior to taking that dive shops open water course or why if you have already paid for a PADI membership that don't recognize this and offer some type of discount! It is starting to make me raise an eyebrow on how dive shops make their money and how they decide to approach things in this industry. Also, before anyone thinks I want someone for free, I have no problem in paying for the open water training and my own equipment and gear, I just don't understand what in the heck is the point of having a paid member to PADI if it does'nt really do much but give you a "free" magazine subscription, if you know what I am saying!!

Being a member of the PADI Diving Society to my knowledge has nothing to do with paying for courses. PADI only makes money on materials sold (ie. manuals, e learning). The rest that you pay goes to the dive shop, instructor's salary, etc.--so I would guess it doesn't matter to them if you are a Society member or not.
I believe, but an not sure, that PADI Diving Society may get you some deals on travel to (tropical) locations. And, the magazine (which used to be free in paper form to Padi Pros, but they stopped that years ago). To be honest, I had little use for the mag. anyway. You are not actually a "member" of PADI--for that you must complete the Divemaster course and become a "Pro". Then you receive a "PADI number", which won't change (non-pro cert. card numbers are different on the card with each course you take beyond Open Water up until the pro level).
To be honest, a little more punctuation will make your post clearer.

Back
Top Bottom