Question Rolling luggage recommendations (40kg+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see that you have motioned they do not pack well but I feel like if you fill a pelican box full or fill another brand roll bag with the same amount of gear they both take up the same amount of space.
Thanks for your feedback on the variety of cases you've tried.

I agree that if the case is full, then you're not wasting space. For our normal dive trips we do try to optimise space though (too many divers crammed into tiny Japanese cars..).

The Longhaul I mentioned is actually smaller than my current bag; just trying to find something to last longer than 2 years..

Anyone have experience with Marmot?

My wife and I have used a Stahlsac Caicos for the last year or so, and have had around 70 lbs in that beast (two sets of gear). Its been tough, and held up well. Would probably want to give it another year or two of trips before I recommended it, but thus far, its been great.

Generally, durability comes with extra weight. So I opted for low weight and my favorite piece is from Nautica (29" Expedition Expandable, grey color). I checked, they ask $146.99 for it now at Walmart, but back then I got it for about $80 in the Mall (Macy's? JC Penny? I do not remember). The wheels and the handle had survived so far and I keep patching the canvas body. It looks like Kandinsky's art now but I do not care.

Hi,

I dive from an island off the coast and need to catch a ferry over to the dive shop. So I need to take my twins, stages, drysuit and all dive gear. Weights about 80kgs (180lbs).

I use a folding beach/camp trolley to get from the car, onto the ferry, off and to the dive shop.
Trolley is rated to 110kgs (240lb) and folds up to go in car boot.

Doubles lie in the bottom, stages lie on top of them, gear bag, overnight bag and drysuit bag sit on top.

Mike

119724-NON00-front.jpg

Looking for additional rolling luggage for (mostly non-air) scuba travel.

I'm a tech diver so lots of heavy gear plus save-dive-kits, so looking for something very robust.

A friend of mine has an older The North Face Longhaul 30" which seems to be perfect, but they no longer make that particular model. Specifically the telescoping handle and wheels are very robust, and the u-shaped zipper instead of the full-surround zipper seems to hold up much better. Having various grab-handles on it makes it easy to handle even with significant weight.

Everything else I've looked at so far seems fairly flimsy in comparison. Luggage I've got at the moment is a Beauchat rolling gear bag, on which I've already had to replace the wheels and they're breaking again, as well as the rest of the luggage starting to fail. To be fair, it's been abused quite a bit and is nearly 4 years old now.. it was great for my "travel" scuba gear, but not really up to the extra weight I drag around these days.

Appreciate any personal experience recommendations of heavy-duty luggage that is still available to buy.
Was in the same boat as you, until I found the Stahlscac 34” - that bag can fit just about anything in there (I typically travel with close to 70lbs worth of gear, and it gets lost in there), and is extremely well padded with lots of grab handles all around..

Highly recommend..

Two wetsuits, BP + 2 wings, big fins, twinset reg set, two deco regs, can light, DSMBs and various spools, folding hangers and all the other usual bits.

Thanks to everybodies suggestions and input. There were some interesting things to consider, but ultimately my actual use-case did push me towards a more standard wheeled bag.

So I ended up buying the Northface Longhaul 30" after all as I found it at a good price and have personal experience with it holding up quite well after several years of abuse. Unfortunately the new revision does miss some of the features of the older one, such as the grab-handle on top of the bag and the zipper had a redesign so we'll see how it goes over time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom