Rolling gear bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

valligurl:
I'm concerned about the 50 lb limit for baggage. We've always packed our gear in one large bag. Then our clothes in another. It was just easier to have two large bags. So, now I guess we'll have three. One gear bag for each of us and our clothes in another suitcase. I need to find a rolling gear bag for one. I want a well made bag that won't be too big and will carry ONE set of gear. Any suggestions? I also carry a laptop, two cameras, (one underwater and a land camera) Then the overnight bag....I feel totally overwhelmed with all the luggage. HELP!!

I stuff all my gear in one big rolling duffel. The bag I have is a rolling duffel made by High Sierra. Actually I have two. I can easily pack more than 50lbs in one bag, so I have to weigh the dern thing and then adjust what's in it. I also carry a LowePro Nature Trekker, and a roller carryon. I stuff my reg, dive lights, computer, batteries, and whatever else I can get into my reg bag (a double) and I also put my laptop in the rolling carryon with my reg bag.

So I end up with a lot of my heavy dive stuff in the carry on as well as most of my camera gear.

I generally travel with my family, so the second big rolling duffel is used for all our clothing, and then we have a third roller bag for overflow. We can actually check six bags if we all fly, but hauling six bags between three of us plus are carryon is rather unmanagable. Another issue is where does all this stuff go once you arrive? We can certainly bring so much stuff that it will not fit in a compact car.

If I fly alone, I have a smaller checked bag that I use for clothing, and I generally split up my gear so it keeps the weight down on the big bag.

Traveling with scuba AND camera gear has become a major pain in the Tail. Once I get a DSLR UW, I'll likley NEED to bring my family along just for the extra gear space :D

You will NOT be able to get two complete sets of gear in one bag anymore, and stay under 50lbs. I can barely get ONE set of gear and stay under 50lbs. In fact last summer I was at 53lbs with most of my gear in one bag.. obvioulsy my scale does not match the airlines... yet another issue. Granted my biofins are heavy, and I always take three sets of personal gear for the FAM to snorkel, but I try and spit up the snorkeling gear.

adrisen:
I use the large roller backpack by Akona. IT clamis to hold two sets of gear but I don't see it. I fing it durable and well worth the price

Unfortunately it rather proclaims that you are a diver, and here is a bag full of expensive dive stuff. If you have never encountered problems, I'm glad. However I don't use any bag for my photo gear or dive gear that suggests the contents are of value.

This is one reason I use standard luggage bags for my STUFF that I check.

I don't put my expensive dive equipment in that bag. For that I use a pelican box. But I have no fear putting in by BC, fins wet suit and reg.

RonFrank:
Unfortunately it rather proclaims that you are a diver, and here is a bag full of expensive dive stuff. If you have never encountered problems, I'm glad. However I don't use any bag for my photo gear or dive gear that suggests the contents are of value.

This is one reason I use standard luggage bags for my STUFF that I check.

I agree with RonFrank about the gear bags. I use a Armor roller/backpack with the internal fin pockets. Really rugged bag with very strong zippers, but the labels advertise that you are a diver. So.... I took my perm black marker and covered all labels and markings that I could not remove. Now the bag is jet black with very ugly silver grey initials (mine) painted on it, on all sides. I can spot it a mile away.

I also carry on a Kiesel camera bag (all labels removed) and a small roller carry on with my reg, mask, shorty, change of clothes and toiletries. This helps to reduce some weight in the checked bag and also keeps my essential gear with me in case they "misplace" my checked bags.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Dive Smart, Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
MM1 :14:

mike_s:
you've got two choices in roller bags. Ones with lots of external pockets and ones that just have one huge main pocket. Both typically have a side fin pocket thought. People like both based on their preferences.

There is a third option. There is roller bag with internal zip pockets that allows you to store smaller items but keep them secure with one main compartment to lock. Its a Deep See Travel-Lok Summit. I have one. Its rugged and roomy and the fin pockets fit my Scubapro Twin Jets fins which are a bear on width.

When I was in the market my decision came down to the Summiit but, I was impressed with Armor's Ironclad Edition Backpack with Wheels.

Both were close in cubic inches of space and just under airline limit on size. BTW Both bags have hidden pockets with shoulder straps, though I can't think of a reason why I would try and lug a bag that big backpack style.

Good luck and have a nice trip.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. When I get back from Curacao, I'm goin" SHOPPIN'!

When we travel by air (two adults and two teenagers), it's via charters that give us a total weight allowance of 20 kg (=44 lb) per person. Aaaargh!

They'd probably allow us to fudge on the weight a bit, but we don't count on that when we pack.

We each carry on our own regulator rig (with computer console) in a backpack -- it's the single densest item... plus it's a good idea in any case. We also carry our masks in our backpacks, since they're relatively heavy -- all with corrective lenses. Makes for a very heavy backpack when lugging through the airport (did I mention I carry a laptop too?), but we're not making any connections. And I've never had a carry-on weighed.

For all other dive gear, we've got two dive bags. Into each one, we manage to fit one adult's and one kid's equipment, right up to 20 kg -- everything we need except tanks and weights. That includes BCs (and we don't have light ones), 1- to 3mm wetsuits, fins, needed accessories. Takes a lot of work with a bathroom scale.

What kind of dive bags? A Triple-L Laguna (with the old, non-garish logo), and a Tusa RD2 Rolling Duffle.

Which leaves us another 40 kg total for clothes and other stuff, which go into two small roll-on suitcases. Each person rolls one bag or suitcase, and carries a backpack.

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom