Rolex Submariner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iyakonboats

Sound reasoning and science trumps your feelings
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, would one consider this just a luxury status device or worth the money as a functional watch?

Also, if worth it, any difference between a nicely used one versus a new one? Asking because I love Rolex watches, but I like vintage Rolex, typically.

Rolex watches have become a status symbol, but the origin is excellence. It's an exceptional piece of equipment. The 'Luxury' aspect is all relative.

A nicely used one is still an excellent piece of equipment.

Rolex watches have become a status symbol, but the origin is excellence. It's an exceptional piece of equipment. The 'Luxury' aspect is all relative.

A nicely used one is still an excellent piece of equipment.
Any real difference in functionality?

It likely works just fine, but at $10,000 I think it's solidly in the luxury catagory. You can get a fully functional dive watch for under $50, and a dive computer for under $250. Heck, even top of the line air integrated dive computers with bright color displays are only about $1,000.

Any real difference in functionality?

difference how? if you're asking difference between 'new and used one', that all depends on the condition of the new one in a range from 'not all' to 'completely' depending on condition...

if you mean difference from a dive compluter....completely.

I dive with a dive computer and a Breitling Superocean.

My 30 plus year old Sub works as good today as when I got it. I have sent it in for service a few times.

Does it work to time a dive? Yes.

Is it going to track my NDL? No.

I use a computer for diving (Even the best computer is cheaper than a service for my Sub)

My BIL has perhaps a half dozen Rolex that have been family heirlooms. They are costly items that keep horrible time, expensive to service, and are a significant impact if lost/broken/stolen.

So, to me, not worth it. I'll keep using my Shearwater PDC, and/or my Momentum watch (200m rated)...

So, would one consider this just a luxury status device or worth the money as a functional watch?
You simply cannot buy a better dive watch. They've set the standard by which all other dive watches are judged and are seen as responsible for dive watches being the most popular segment in luxury watches. You pay a premium for it new though if you can get one and there are others that are as equally as good for cheaper. I have my eye on a particular Tudor Black Bay for instance. Tudor is owned by Rolex. I also like Omega, so may go with a Seamaster.

Also, if worth it, any difference between a nicely used one versus a new one? Asking because I love Rolex watches, but I like vintage Rolex, typically.

If you buy from a reputable seller, they will usually be able to tell you when last it was serviced, so it should be safe.

I divide luxury and function. They both have their place .

For functionality, I have defaulted to cheap casio rangeman. It sets itself, it charges itself, and it's indestructible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom