Rock Lake Diving - Santa Rosa, NM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg,

I don't know much about it. Can you give me some details? Never been there.

Is it near Denver? I don't recall the place at all, other than the name.

Disregard, I just did a search on it on Google. You know I think I've passed that place many times before, if it's the one that's off to the east of I-285 after you pass over Kenosha.

What's the altitude there? What temps have you experienced?

I'm strictly a wet diver, at least until I get my DS and nitrox certs from Rob & Greg this winter, but it sounds like a good place to go for more cold water experience.

Actually, it's to the West of Jefferson off 285. When you get to the bottom of Kenosha, you come into the town. The only real turn to the west goes back to the reservoir
There are signs for it at the turn off.
Temps were 52 at 97' and 60 or so at about 40'. The vis is what was astounding for a fresh lake. I would consider diving it to 50' or so with a 7mm wet suit. You have to dive it dry if you go deeper. The elevation is about 10500' so you need to get there about 6 hrs before you dive to allow for "altitude deco". You get to the place and are about a "D" diver on the tables.

Greg

This time of year I think I would find a hotel room in town (I think they actually have a hotel). I like to have the canopy up and the heater ready when it's cold, so that part is covered.
We are planning on several dives there next summer. No more shore diving up there, it's not fun with all of the fishermen giving you the evil eye as you swim out. Not to mention the 100+ yard surface swim sucks. Both my brother and I got sun burned on our faces from it, go figure..... It made the wives wonder just what we were doing at the lake.
Sorry I didn't make the Rock lake dives. I have actually been in Kansas a lot more than I planned this year. That got me behind on other work and house repairs.

I think this thread can be revived any time you want to plan a trip there. I will also be at Blue Hole more often now.
Greg

The elevation is about 10500' so you need to get there about 6 hrs before you dive to allow for "altitude deco". You get to the place and are about a "D" diver on the tables.

Greg[/QUOTE]

Would you explain this please? Please explain for the group how you figure group designation "D" before your dive, and please explain "altitude deco".

Thanks, Dave

Dave,

I have to check my notes, so this probably isn't exactly correct, but you have to compensate for your altitude changes. Every 1000' of elevation change you go up, you effectively add 2 pressure groups to your current nitrogen load. This is due to the reduced air pressue.

It's covered in the altitude dive portion of the AOW course, and then further in depth in the Altitude Diver specialty.

Of course, if you don't change altitude to dive, you don't need to worry about it. For example, if you live at sea level, and dive in the ocean, there's no concern. Or if we live in Denver, and dive in Aurora Res, there's no concerns. It's all at the same elevation.

It's when we go up high in the mountains and then hop in the water where the problems become an issue.

What I was really looking for is a formula that goes beyond the PADI altitude class- to use for decompression, nitrox or SSI tables. It looked like Greg might have that. The "altitude deco" we've never paid much attention to, living at altitude already. I know what the course material says...
Dave

Ah, I see what you mean.

Sorry, I only use the simple way. I'm in Denver too, but it's done me well enough so far.

Might want to check with one of the local instructors then if you are looking for something beyond my meager knowledge.

Hey guys,
The general theory is that you have to spend 6 hours up there before you dive. The two pressure groups per 1000' is what my book said.
I try to follow it, but that's not easy sometimes. We spent about two hours before we dove. But our bottom times were pretty mellow and we spent an hour and fourty five minutes out. We used the 10000' grid on the altitude table. We dove EAN34 on the first and air the second. I hope this helps. I'm beat and heading to bead.....
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom