Rock Bottom Spreadsheet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was looking for this spreadsheet a week ago and couldn't recall where I saved it. I'm glad this thread came up again.

Having recently done my taxes, I have prepared a worksheet for rock bottom pressure that works about the same way as tax forms. You only have to fill in a handfull of values, SAC, depth, etc. and then follow instructions like add Line x to Line y. It is something that can be printed out and either copied or laminated. It is for those who may want to calculate Rock Bottom Pressure without having to bring a laptop on a dive.

ItsBruce:
Having recently done my taxes, I have prepared a worksheet for rock bottom pressure that works about the same way as tax forms. You only have to fill in a handfull of values, SAC, depth, etc. and then follow instructions like add Line x to Line y. It is something that can be printed out and either copied or laminated. It is for those who may want to calculate Rock Bottom Pressure without having to bring a laptop on a dive.

Honestly, RB shouldn't be something that takes a laptop or even a calculator to calculate. Pencil and paper ought to suffice. I'd say it was better to understand how it's calculated rather than have a precise psi number (and you will round to the nearest 100 anyway)

ItsBruce:

Man that brings back bad memories. :)

Nothing wrong with understanding how to make the calculation AND having it precalculated. I've placed three sets of values in permanent ink on my dive slate.

limeyx:
Honestly, RB shouldn't be something that takes a laptop or even a calculator to calculate. Pencil and paper ought to suffice. I'd say it was better to understand how it's calculated rather than have a precise psi number (and you will round to the nearest 100 anyway)

Quite right. The pdff is the paper part of it.

I like using forrms and simple steps. I like written check lists. Such things reduce the chance of a blunder. I've seen too many instances in which someone forgot to add in some constant or added two numbers before multiplying by a third rather than multiplying before adding. My worksheet eliminates opportunities to screw up.

Apart from my worksheet, I dive with a waterproof card showing RB at various depths for the configuration my buddy and I customarily use. It eliminates the chance for a blunder.

limeyx:

And further to that, you should be able to "field calc" this stuff sitting on a boat in 1m waves for any depth the day may give you as well, IN YOUR HEAD.

No pens, paper, calculators etc........all you need is one sheet out of the wetnotes that have the RB's of your common tanks (if you haven't comitted them to memory already). And be able to extrapoltae quite easily every piece of info you require to do a dive from there.

Once you're able to do that, you have arrived. It doesn't take 100th decimal place accuracy nor even 5 minutes of time. Imperial or Metric. :D

Regards

This is a great thread with lots of good info. Thanks everyone for putting so much effort in to help the rest of us be safer.

>(LF))>

Back
Top Bottom