Rock boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bronce32:
Yes, talking dry. Diving wet now, but will be diving dry this spring. i am attempting to figure out what options i want on a drysuit.

I just went through this recently when I bought my first drysuit. I went with a TLS350 Signature Series with rock boots (from a 7mm farmer jane with 5mm booties). As you can see in Tamas' post, rock boots are significantly bigger and more bulky than neoprene booties, so the definitely *do* take some getting used to and they WILL require larger fins than you have now (I went from size M Apollo Biofins with my booties to size LL - Apollo's version of XL - Biofins for my size 9 rock boot).

Since I dive in New England and do a LOT of shore diving with fairly rocky entries/exits, I appreciate the extra support they give my feet and ankles. I got used to them pretty quickly - within probably 4 dives, I felt fine with them. And they're big enough to give me room inside for a pair of polypro socks (I'm allergic to wool) and fleece booties to keep my feet toasty warm (that's in addition to the drysuit soft socks). If you're primarily going to boat dive, you may want to go with the turbo soles - the rock boots may be overkill and they *are* one more thing to forget to put in your dive bag.

FWIW, though...I'm REALLY happy with my new drysuit...I'm actually looking forward to diving this weekend, even though the water's getting cold - I know *I'll* be bone dry and toasty warm :D

I actually dive my DUI suit without the boots.
I can fit into my regular fins and feel right at home.
The boot laces dig into my feet and the larger fins are squirly.
Perhaps it depends on what type of entry your making.
My next suit will be w/ turbo soles.
P.S. Just my opinion based on my experience.

I'm thinking to see how mine dives with 3-mm booties ... might be warmer than the rock boots.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Oh ... I thought he was referring to these ...

http://www.cloggs.co.uk/icat/brndftwrnewrockboots

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Those boots rock alright Bob.

I don't like the rock boots very well, I wish I had gotten attached boots with my dry suit. As Rick mentioned I had to buy another set of extra large fins just because they are so bulky. But I don't like the stocking type foot in the dry suit because it gets bunched up in the boot and can be uncomfortable and although I haven't ran into this yet, I think it will be a major wear point of the suit. Just taking a few steps without the boots is bound to cause wear and trust me you will have need to walk a little in them just taking the suit on and off. Not a problem with attached boots.

FFMDiver:
I actually dive my DUI suit without the boots.
I can fit into my regular fins and feel right at home.
The boot laces dig into my feet and the larger fins are squirly.
Perhaps it depends on what type of entry your making.
My next suit will be w/ turbo soles.
P.S. Just my opinion based on my experience.

My partner dives without them with his DUI when we dive from our boat. Shore dives he wears them. Mobeys has somewhat of an inbetween boot which works well on or off the boat and is insulated with a nice fit. Personally Ill where a pair of Converse high tops before I put on Rock Boots, but then again I dont care how COOL I look.

MNJ

I LOVE Rockboots! I have a DUI CLX450 that I have been diving regularly, in the ocean, in the quarries and in the caves with no wear issues for over 4 years. I like them so much I purchased a smaller pair for wetsuit diving. I got them initially for cave diving in Mexico and now wear them exclusively with my wetsuit even in the carribbean.

Why I like Rockboots:

1. Sure footing, especially on rocky entries (caves in Mexico & FL) and boats too.

2. Ditching the suit is so much cleaner. Walk up to your drop cloth....take the boots off and step onto the drop cloth to remove the suit....no sand, grass or dirt on your suit.

3. Great for other watersports.....like canoeing, creek hiking and rafting. (not whitewater kayaking tho....no laces in a kayak....entrapment hazard)

I've always wondered why drysuit divers don't wear regular wetsuit booties over their drysuit socks? If booties work for diving wet, why wouldn't they work for diving dry? They are certainly a lot less bulky and restrictive than rock boots.

I feel like I'm missing something painfully obvious.

Scot,

No, you are not missing anything. That is a solution as well, and a lot of people do just that. Rock boots are great for rough shores or the deck of a commercial boat.

Back
Top Bottom