rock boots or regular dry suit boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior:
get a pair of canvas high top Keds.

thanks, will look them up

karstdvr:
DiveRite 905 boots

thanks for the tip ... will look into it

One thing to keep in mind is the fit (I must have written this very post 25 times).

My brother an I have the same shoe size and we have the same Bare XCD2 dry suits. However, my feet are much skinnier all around than his. As a result, I went with the Rock Boots because they offer a more precise fit and offer less room for air to migrate into. This is important because when air does travel into your boot, it will make for a sloppy fitting fin (even with spring straps).

If fit wasn't an issue, I would go with the attached boots just for the convenience alone. It's sounds picky until 4 divers are gearing up on a small boat and you need to find real estate just to get your boots on.... and tie them.... and do the velcro.

I loved my old rock boots! They can fit different sock thicknesses by adjusting the laces, they are comfortable, the soles don't wear much, they are great to walk/hike in.

I love my new attached boots! No dealing with the laces, no transporting another piece of gear, easier to get out of my drysuit and they're warmer.

Not sure which I like better.

I have rock boots on my TLS350. I do lots of shore diving in rocky Laguna Beach. As others have stated, a big advantage is that they wear very well. If they do wear out, then you just get another pair of rock boots ... no need to send DS out for repair. One other thing to consider is that they are bulkier than turbo soles. You may likely need a different pair of fins. I had to go with turtles for a size 10 rock boot.

riguerin:
I have rock boots on my TLS350. I do lots of shore diving in rocky Laguna Beach. As others have stated, a big advantage is that they wear very well. If they do wear out, then you just get another pair of rock boots ... no need to send DS out for repair. One other thing to consider is that they are bulkier than turbo soles. You may likely need a different pair of fins. I had to go with turtles for a size 10 rock boot.
i like the rock boots, but i too had to go with the turttle fins for fit, lucky for me though i also like the new fins!!!

I have dove the DUI suit and tried rock boots, IMO it's the only saving grace to the DUI suits. I loved the rock boots in comparison to my Viking boots which frankly suck big time.

For me at least they fit well and were comfortable, I honestly wish other suits had boots like those. I even tried to see if I could get air in the boot and while you can it's much harder to do so and the volume is so small I don't think it'd ever be an issue for me.

Were it mine, I'd keep the rock boots on the next drysuit.

Andy...
I'm not sure what the terrain is like where you live and if you do mostly boat or shore, but here the shore entries are often volcanic rock and my turbo soles are way inadequate for the task. They are constantly getting abraded and leaking. Sometimes I can fix the leak myself (aquaseal), sometimes not.

The problem with the rockboots is complication of gear, and the fact that you will likely have to use a different pair of fins, and the super long laces suck.

My next solution will be one I have seen implemented here. If the water is not too cold for you (here it only gets down to 50C) I will go with a good fitting aqua-sock like DUI or USIA (latex) and then wear a regular wetsuit bootie over that.

That way, the diver can use the same equipment as when diving wet, including same fins. The main downside is for really cold dives, you might not be able to fit enough insulation in the aqua-socks and still fit into the wetsuit bootie.

I like the rock boots but then again I do a lot of shore diving in the NE. Very sturdy and great ankle support. I don't agree that they are colder. After all, you are wearing a thick and air tight sock, more fleece socks, and then a thick boot over a pair of xxl jet fins, lol. How can that not be warm?

Yes, the added gear (wet and heavy and sometimes dirty shoes) is a pain. However, if your turbo soles don't fit they will trap air and then you will be asking about gaiters, lol. If they are too small, then you have to send the suit back. The turbo sole will also wear out a bit faster and then you have to send the suit back. If you trim the laces on the rock boots they will be easier to deal with. I like the flexibilty of the rock boot. I also have a pair of very large wetsuit booties that I can use instead of the rock boots for boat diving or smaller fins and that works just like the chucks. All that said, the extra shoes can still be a pain, but the suit is easier to travel with and lighter than with the attached, a minor point.

Just some random thoughts.

One other thing I forgot about the attached boots. Can you say balloon?

If for someone reason air get's in them you lose all concept of where your fins are because your feet are floating around in the boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom