Rocio del Mar -- 2 wetsuits??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddavin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have read about the vast temperature differences in the northern Sea of Cortez, so I was wondering if there was room (in cabin or dive deck) on the Rocio del Mar to take both a 3mm and a 5mm plus vest and hood to layer. I know the cabins are small....

If you have a full boat the space to hang wetsuits gets used up fast. So if you were the only person to take two suits it would probably be OK, but if a lot of people do it, then it wouldn't.

I dove in a 3 mil shorty with a thin neoprene rash guard underneath. If you're not an exceptionally cold person I would suggest that you either choose the 3 mil and vest or the 5 mil, but not both.

I have read about the vast temperature differences in the northern Sea of Cortez, so I was wondering if there was room (in cabin or dive deck) on the Rocio del Mar to take both a 3mm and a 5mm plus vest and hood to layer. I know the cabins are small....

I dove the sea of Cortez on RDM in the later part of October 2018. The boat started at the top at Puerto Penasco and ended at San Jose Del Cabo. Although the dive deck was somewhat crowded there was always room for more than one wetsuit if you choose to take one. I chose to take my 3 mil full suit and an additional 3 mill front zip step-in shorty to add to my full suit for the colder water up north. I only felt cold on 1 dive and was able to dry and store the shorty once we reached the warmer water further south. There is enough room so I wouldn't hesitate to take whatever you need to be comfortable in the water.

The room is pretty small, but there might be enough space for a 2nd dry wetsuit in the room. You would not want a wet wetsuit in the room. If you're using both suits, I think you'll be able to stuff a 2nd one in rack on the dive deck, but it's definitely not roomy. If you find you prefer one over the other, there's plenty of places to dry out the second one and stow it. I went on the RDM Midriff Islands itinerary in early august and I didn't wear a wetsuit at all - just a lavacore shirt. We did hit some deeper thermoclines, sometimes around 50', sometimes around 70'. I would dip into the colder water and if it got uncomfortable, just ascend a little. The water was high 70s most of the time. Sometimes 80. Thermoclines: low 70s.

I've never been on a liveaboard that didn't have room for extra suits somehow. (I haven't been on anything like Blackbeards, but I've been on a decent number of different boats, including RDM.) Sure if everyone on a full boat brought a 3mm and a 5mm and a vest and whatever it's going to get to be challenging, but that's unlikely to happen. Having to fly with the stuff is a natural restraint on people going nuts. And everyone needs something different - for every diver needing more protection and having a wardrobe to chose from, there's bound to be someone more minimalist or just in need of less. . I'd say use common sense and cut back where you can, but bring what you really need. Layering is always a good approach. If I weren't that person who tries to avoid anyplace I can't dive in a skin, I personally would try to pick one main suit. If nothing else I couldn't fit a 3 & a 5 in my bag.

You might consider bringing extra wetsuit hangers as they can be at a premium. Consider leaving it on the boat to help out the next folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom