Robotic Urchin Harvester Project - Otter Force One

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-JD-

Eclecticist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This came across in an email this morning and I figured maybe some of you NorCal folks would be interested or maybe even want to help ...

It seems sort of pointless unless this is a stepping stone to an autonomous vehicle. I wonder if the ROV operator needs a California fishing license?
Seems to be designed as an autonomous, active, but fixed, "trap". Upgrading it to an AUV would be interesting. Maybe coupled with a wavepower generation system home base. Set it up in a location and let it work for a week ... move it on ... An Urchin Roomba

Hi everyone, JD thanks for posting this. It's cool to be connected to divers here. Hope that this project didn't come across as blindly applying tech to a complex real-world problem.

If any of you have done volunteering for collecting urchins - thank you for your service!

This robot focuses on the detection and collection aspect - no movability. It could be attached on to an existing ROV in the future. Numbers regarding the collection rate are in the works, stay tuned.

It would be incredible to hear more from you all as divers about what the conditions are like, and what it's presently like trying to harvest or cull urchins. Would anyone be up for a quick Zoom call?

Thanks again, and feel free to provide any feedback at all, it will help make the prototype better.

Hi everyone, JD thanks for posting this. It's cool to be connected to divers here. Hope that this project didn't come across as blindly applying tech to a complex real-world problem.

If any of you have done volunteering for collecting urchins - thank you for your service!

This robot focuses on the detection and collection aspect - no movability. It could be attached on to an existing ROV in the future. Numbers regarding the collection rate are in the works, stay tuned.

It would be incredible to hear more from you all as divers about what the conditions are like, and what it's presently like trying to harvest or cull urchins. Would anyone be up for a quick Zoom call?

Thanks again, and feel free to provide any feedback at all, it will help make the prototype better.
Straight from the seahorse's mouth! Welcome to Scubaboard. I have done a few urchin dives if you'd be interested in hearing about them, please feel free to DM.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. Neat project! In the still photos, it kind of looks like it might work in reverse, like an urchin-launching Battle Bot. I'd be interested in seeing updates as the come along

This came across in an email this morning and I figured maybe some of you NorCal folks would be interested or maybe even want to help ...

It's a very novel idea, to be sure, and most any Rube Goldberg idea would be a welcomed addition in the control of our urchin overpopulation -- even the "over-engineered" Otter Force One (AI, really?); but whether its use would ever be sanctioned by the CA Fish and Game (still can't bring myself to say "wildlife") pencil-necks in Sacramento, outside of only two currently approved "culling" areas, is another thing, whose decisions and approval rates move with the speed of a glacier -- maybe even continental drift.

"Otter Force One detects the urchins using its camera and AI. It automatically pulses a jet of water to dislodge the urchin."

Those "pulses" of water required to dislodge urchins have just gotta be something else -- since when I collect them, for laboratory use and the occasional spaghetti ai ricci, they generally require a bit of "persuasion" from either a clam knife or lobster tickler and are seldom that loose . . .

That device looks pretty cool, a little complex and techy but cool none the less.
I still think removal by hand is probably quicker and easier.

We are allowed to harvest 40 gallons of purple urchins per day in the purple urchin problem counties. There is no possession limit.

There are only two sites that are designated as culling zones, one is Caspar Cove in Mendocino County and the other is Tankers Reef in Monterey County.

I can remove 40 gallons of purple urchins in less than a few hours and I can do it a lot of times on one tank of air (three shallow dives). I have the biggest green game bag that Trident makes and I stuff it full three times which works out to be 40 gallons of whole urchins.
I use a 50# lift bag to suspend the collection bag once it begins to fill to make it easier to float around. I put just enough air in the lift bag to make the urchin bag neutral. I estimate that 40 gallons if urchins is somewhere between 800 and 1200 individual animals.
I use an old ab iron to knock a few stubborn urchins loose that have locked down on rocks. Most of them are easy enough to just handle carefully with kevlar gloves and get them into the game bag. It is very quick work to fill a bag (15 to 20 minutes, and that is a very large bag, much larger than the one shown on the urchin vacuum machine.
Most of my work is in 8-10’ of water right off the beach. I have been concentrating on Stillwater Cove in Sonoma County as my pet project area. All my efforts are concentrated there. I’m seeing a lot of small abalone coming back along the interface between the kelp weed line close to the beach and the barrens a little farther out. I work from this urchin free interface zone outward in an effort to increase the area out from the beach where the abalone can feed and be urchin free. My fear is that with the pending winter storm season looming that the abalone will be dislodged from the shallow beach zone by large swells and flung onto the beach during large winter storms, since that’s where all of them seem to be thriving.
It is critical that we do everything in our power to try and get this problem under control. Like the article says, healthy kelp is critical to a lot more than just abalone and fish, it affects CO2 levels in the atmophere also.
We need to clear urchins!!

I have plans to attend several DFW public meetings to try and introduce at least three new motions regarding purple urchins. One would be to remove or suspend the 40 gallon limit and change it to no limit take. The second would be to suspend the general wanton waste clause specific to purple urchins and have that in writing, and the third would be to suggest enacting a cash bounty for purple urchins based on poundage. The price paid would have to be determined and a collection and weigh station would have to be created.
Perhaps a good place to spend some of that state budget surplus?

I have been trying to get people involved in purple urchin removal for months even years. So far I’ve very little success. People seem to be more interested in their own pleasures and don’t want to be bothered by doing work dives. It’s a little frustrating to say the least. Trying to get divers together as a team to do this is like herding cats 🐈‍⬛
I’m going to continue to try and recruit divers for this project. I’m going to talk to Seal’s Water Sports in Santa Rosa and see if they would be willing to put up a special purple urchin removal information page on their website with info about where-when-how and have sales on urchin removal gear like large green game bags, lift bags, bars, clips, etc.
I’m also going to continue to post here in an attempt to get people interested and fired up.

I sincerely hope many of you take this problem a little more seriously, this is an important and noble cause.
Please get involved.

Back
Top Bottom