Robert Gaskin from shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfproul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just wondering if anyone of you guys did the gaskin from
shore.... heard there is a rope going to the wreck...

thank you for your input

jf

jfproul:
Just wondering if anyone of you guys did the gaskin from
shore.... heard there is a rope going to the wreck...

thank you for your input

jf

It's a long swim, and across a heavy boat traffic area.

It can be done, but I don't suggest attempting it on a single tank, as you may end up having to do a long surface swim back when you run low on air, and run the risk of some weekend warrior in a ski boat running over you.

cause from the shore it doesn't look to far.....

canuckdiver:
It's a long swim, and across a heavy boat traffic area.

It can be done, but I don't suggest attempting it on a single tank, as you may end up having to do a long surface swim back when you run low on air, and run the risk of some weekend warrior in a ski boat running over you.

Diving the Gaskin from shore is like helping someone out in a financial jam you take your chances, at least most of the boaters wont do you on purpose.

Under water its a 20 minute swim out and another 20 back. To far for most.

On the surface you take your chances with the current and boats.

I've done it both ways. On the bottom it is 12 to 15minutes at an average depth of 45 feet against a mild current. You will have to figure out if your air consumption rate and cylinder size is adequate for the dive. I can get away with a single tank but I use a steel 112 cu foot tank.

Last time I did the Gaskin from shore there were two ropes. There is no guarentee that they are still there as it was last December. The first line was a standard reel type line starting approximately directly in front of the washrooms and running more or less due south to the wreck. The second line was a 5/8ths of 3/4 inch piece of flat white webbing. It is connected from the cribs and runs south west to the wreck. The cribs are located in about 40 feet of water just off the corner of the park. If you head straight south from the steps you should find the cribs. The white webbing also crosses the big old steel pipe. You can follow that out.

On the surface it is about a 20 minute swim. Inshore there is usually a mild current that pushes you upstream. When you get about 1/2 way out the direction switches. Obviously boat traffic is the major hazard. I don't do a surface swim June to September. October to April is usually fine as there are no boats out.

jfproul:
cause from the shore it doesn't look to far.....
Many have died thinking it doesn't look like far to swim. Judging distance over water is very difficult.

Back
Top Bottom