Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cs4160

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Any recommendations for Roatan in July other than Anthony’s Key Resort? Just looking for a 3-4 days of diving for 3 before heading to another island

Not much to work with,

1) if you’re just arriving early to do a connection to some yet unnamed next step? Utila, Guanaja, or ? You’re going to want to stay within the West End day-dive zone, just simply for easy access to next connections out of Coxen Hole. Going farther afield might quickly complicate things.

2) “days of diving”? As in- how many per day?

3) your “no AKR” thing? If you’ve already dived with them, from any other West/West North dive op you’re going to be getting the same dive sites with a lower grade dive provider infrastructure.

Your OP lack of info is critical. It makes me wonder…. Guanaja? Maybe advanced skill sets? It would be best if you could expose them to the real feature of Roatan, the stuff that most never see- the Shallow South side.

The easiest way to do a 3 day and still reside very near the port of exit? Barefoot Key. In no way would I recommend this option without serious caveats, but it‘s main problem is it’s location in an industrial harborage and it’s ‘concierge diving” which is their description of a tiny ClubMed get-em-in-get-em-out experience. This is their clientele. But… you do get to see the South side of Roatan, the most single unique feature in the Caribbean.

With no more information or real requirements, i would defer you to West Bay as an LCD.

Scuba Roatan (formerly Sea Divers) is a great, small op out of Palmetto Bay. They will typically pick you up at any north side dock from the Palmetto area all the way to West Bay. Sam and Amanda are the owners and are great people! Small boat, super chill. SCUBA ROATAN

Thanks to you both. Sorry for the lack of details.
1. Going to a private island in Utila that I have visited before and as I am now flying through Roatan, vs San Pedro Sula, thought it would be cool to extend and spend some time in Roatan. I have never been to Roatan.
2. Plan to stay 3-4 days and would like a few dives per day for either all days or perhaps take one day off to chill. We will also dive in Utila.
3. I have heard great things about AKR , but they are full during the week I would travel. I really haven’t heard anything about other resorts or locations.

I am a master diver with 1.5k dives but while my two teenage kids have PADI AOW, they have much more limited dive experience (although some of that is in California waters).

I am looking for a comfy no hassle resort with on prem diving.

Thanks for your help with this.

Thanks to you both. Sorry for the lack of details.
1. Going to a private island in Utila that I have visited before and as I am now flying through Roatan, vs San Pedro Sula, thought it would be cool to extend and spend some time in Roatan. I have never been to Roatan.
2. Plan to stay 3-4 days and would like a few dives per day for either all days or perhaps take one day off to chill. We will also dive in Utila.
3. I have heard great things about AKR , but they are full during the week I would travel. I really haven’t heard anything about other resorts or locations.

I am a master diver with 1.5k dives but while my two teenage kids have PADI AOW, they have much more limited dive experience (although some of that is in California waters).

I am looking for a comfy no hassle resort with on prem diving.

Thanks for your help with this.
Oh, and at the end of my stay, I will take the ferry to Utila.

Oh, and at the end of my stay, I will take the ferry to Utila.
Thanks for the additional info. We stayed in Palmetto Bay at a house on the beach rented through VRBO. $250/night. Our vacation criteria may differ from yours since we're middle-aged and have no kids. But if a few days in a pool with an on site restaurant and a dock (dive boat) right outside your front door is for you, you can't go wrong here. For teenagers it may be too out of the way. I'm guessing they'll want to see West Bay, etc? The dive op I recommended (SCUBA Roatan) dives out of there as well and are very chill, especially for divers with less experience. 8 divers max.

Here's the house we stayed in: ...EDIT - It won't let me link the house. Sorry. Search Palmetto Bay

Reactions: Doc
Thanks for the additional info. We stayed in Palmetto Bay at a house on the beach rented through VRBO. $250/night. Our vacation criteria may differ from yours since we're middle-aged and have no kids. But if a few days in a pool with an on site restaurant and a dock (dive boat) right outside your front door is for you, you can't go wrong here. For teenagers it may be too out of the way. I'm guessing they'll want to see West Bay, etc? The dive op I recommended (SCUBA Roatan) dives out of there as well and are very chill, especially for divers with less experience. 8 divers max.

Here's the house we stayed in: ...EDIT - It won't let me link the house. Sorry. Search Palmetto Bay
Cool.

Thank you, I will check it out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom