Roatan!! Wooot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh thank you! other half will be very happy to hear about the Coke and Pepsi information!

Goober2:
oh thank you! other half will be very happy to hear about the Coke and Pepsi information!

Just understand that this is Honduras.

Both Coke and Pepsi were available over in Coxen Hole on Friday. Now, they're out of Coke.

You can still get both Coke and Pepsi in Franch Harbour today, but they're out of Diet Coke. Maybe Pepsi, too. Have to look.

The Point: Count on absolutely nothing, no matter how minor. Be flexible.

You aint in Kansas no more, Dorothy! :wink:

Dave Zimmerly:
Oh, just remembered. You can't donate blood for two years after your visit.

Because the CDC is worried about two things:

1) The risk of exposure to Malaria
2) Your blood alchohol content from the Flor de Cana Rum

Deet......anything with deet. Use it any time you are walking on the sand. You will most likey get a few no-see-um bites during your stay but you can minimize them if you are diligent with the deet. Don't take this to mean that things are really bad, just the way it is.

You will truly love the diving in Roatan, it is spectacular! My wife and I spent two weeks last June diving the west side (West End /West Bay) area. Truly incredible! All my gallery pics are from that trip (new camera). That's what you'll be seeing. Have fun!

Gordon

Goober2:
I am so excited. I posted here right after I got my open water cert stating that we were headed for cozumel in february. Unfortunately, we can't make it happen due to Wilma and other circumstances so we frantically started searching for another vacation to take. I am so excited, we are headed to Roatan 4/22 for a week of diving. My very first "real" dive and I am headed to CENTRAL AMERICA!!

Anyone have any experiences they want to share?

We are staying at Las Rocas for 7 nights.:D
You will LOVE Roatan. Been there several times, stayed @ diff places each time. All were great. Diving is superb. Noseeums were the only downside. Use some repellant religiously every day. I've used cactus juice and it worked O.K.. Used skin so soft with not so good results. Go to a military surplus store and get DEET. You can mix it with cactus juice or skin so soft and have good protection. Be sure and knock the sand off your feet and take shoes off outside before going back into your hotel room. Wear long pants!!! Not nice to have the noseeums in your room.
The people are just wonderful. Most answers are "no problem" or "no worry." I taught some classes @ BIBR and asked for many things over the week. The answer was the same each time "no worry."
Go to Coxen hole. It's an experience. Check out Gio's for a meal in French Harbor. Wonderful food/atmosphere. The crab is more than one person can eat. Spend some time in the west end. Well, you may just have to go a few times.
Bill

Went last May for two weeks and will be back in April and plan to stay two weeks and one week in Utila this time. Loved every minute of it!! Lots of great dive shops and friendly people.

No-see-ums (sand flies) are a pain, but they primarily bother us tourists. Everyone says that the more deet in the stuff you use the better. Best stay long enough to get used to them and they will go find the guy that just got off the plane and leave you more or less alone. (Didn't see the big bite marks on the locals, just tourists)

By all means get to West Bay and snorkle right at the far end of the beach. You can actually wade out to the reef!!! It is well deserving of the Travel Channel's rating of one of the 10 best beaches in the world.

I stayed in West End and loved every minute and will stay there this time as well. It's almost worth the trip just to experience one of Rudy's Smoothies.

The red bumps from the noseeums is how you can tell the tourists from the locals! I've heard that after about 3 months exposure (overall, not all at once) the noseeums leave you alone. I somehow doubt they stop biting, I just think that you stop reacting to the bites (as well as learn to use deet etc). It actually is true in my case- the first few times I visited Roatan (and South Carolina) I was covered in welts that were horrible (and seemed to take weeks to fade). But now when I go I don't seem to be bothered by them (although I'm not willing to wean myself from the bug spray long enough to really test this either- mosquitos still love me!). Best to remember to spray yourself early and often, and bring a pair of lightweight pants to wear for that sunrise/sunset stroll on the beach (they seem to like ankles best!)

Don't you just love the wooot! on the header of this thing?

That, to me, bespeaks someone who has discovered Roatan!

Wooot! indeed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom