Roatan vs Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to Roatan 5 times and lived there as a dive manager for 4 months. It's a great place with a wide variety of diving in various parts of the island. As many have suggested, most people just stay at one resort and don't get out much. I drove the roads daily for 4 months and never had a problem though their are some crazy drivers especially in the taxi's. They do have occasional roadblocks with local police but they don't hassle visitors in most cases. Never give them any money for any reason.

Most dive operatons on south or west end dive in a relatively small area though the diving is still very good. There are other operations that are even more isolated but dive parts of the island rarely seen by most.

Paya Bay - This is a terrific get away resort. It is on the far north end of the island with the final 4 miles being down a rugged dirt road. They can arrange rental cars for site seeing or they'll even take you out once in a while. They no longer have their own dive operation but another group picks up divers daily for as many as 4 dives a day. This resort is small and family run. All rooms have terrific views. It has two beaches one of which is completely private. I highly recommend this place if you want something a little different. Diving is done on the north side of the island or south side depending upon weather. Most north side dives have incredible structures and swim throughs while the south side is mostly wall diving. I lived at this resort for 4 months.

Reef House - This resort is about 6 miles from Paya Bay on the south side of the island. It is also family run. It's an older place and more of a dedicated dive resort. It's on a tiny little island with about 40 local homes. Access is via water taxi. I highly recommend a taxi tour during your stay. The area is beautiful and you'll get a chance to see how the people really live. Be prepared, they are extremely poor but friendly The diving again is almost all wall diving but they have much of the diving to themselves since they are much further east than most operations. I've been there 3 times and really like it.

Bay Island Beach Resort - I only visited this place once but liked it as well. The service was outstanding as was the food. They have a nice beach bar on the premises that my wife and I visited nightly. You travel inside the reef and go right through by the Anothony's Keys area daily. This place is on the main road but still a long way from West End.

Anothony's Keys - I stayed here twice a very long time ago. It is a great place with lots to do but a little too structured for me. Lots of room choices including some high above the water and others on a small key accessible via boat. This is a well run operation and you can't go wrong with this place.

I've also been to West End many times. It's party time almost all the time over there. If you like that kind of thing, it's the place to be. Diving is excellent but sometimes crowded. The actual "town" is really just a bunch of tourist places on a dirt road. Fun to visit but I wouldn't stay in this area myself but it's great for younger folks looking for some night life in additional to good diving. Lots to do here.

Bonaire - Been there twice and loved it. As others have said, it seem to be a lot less 3rd world. If you stay on the main roads, it's much like any other resort town. Lots of tourist joints and good restaurants. The island is a desert and is very dry and hot. Most people shore dive but boat diving is really cheap and gets you to more places including the nearby island. Diving is very good everywhere. I stayed at smaller places including Belmar Condo's. This is a great place with spectacular views and very private. A dive operation is on the premises so tanks are readily available. You'll need a car but all packages include one anyway. I never had any bug problems on this island. Diving is almost all gradual slopes which aren't that interesting to me but there are a fair number of smaller fish and things to see. This can be a very difficult island to get too sometimes. They have had airline and baggage issues for 15 years or more. I'm not sure of the current status but it's something I'd check. This island also has terrible problems with petty theft including dive gear. The local government tries to deal with the problem but has been largely unsuccessful. For a while, they even had a bus that you could follow that would provide security while you went diving. This is not a problem with resort diving by the way. It is only a problem with remote shore diving. Some people are fanatical about this place and I've never understood why. The diving is good but not exceptional.

Have fun regardless of your choice.

ncchuck, thank you so much for a new and fresh view of Roatan. I am starting to lean more towards Roatan because of the more varied types of diving and higher quality of hotels for the wife.
Hoping for some more input.
The reason for switching interest from Bonaire to Roatan is because one of my dive buddies has commented that diving Bonaire is simple and great for beginners but not really challenging. She then mentioned Roatan and being more exciting in diving and more to see.
Your thoughts please.

I was in Roatan a year ago and in Bonaire last August. Bonaire is my preference.

Roatan is more like visiting Central America. Drink water with caution, although I didn't have a problem in the resort. English is not widely spoken, although wide enough. The dive resorts tend to be isolated a bit, so there's not much to do other than dive. We pretty much ate three meals a day at the resort, hung out in the lobby/bar at night while looking at dive pictures, and dove during the day. We were on the south side of the island, and dives were basically all wall dives.

Bonaire felt more like visiting a small town on the Mediterranean coast in Spain; foreign yet familiar. Drink the water. English widely spoken along with Dutch, Spanish, and some German and Portuguese. The hotels / resorts are walking distance to town. I felt like we had more variety in the diving in Bonaire, but it's a lot of reef any way you cut it. We had two dives a day on a boat in our package. We did boats in the day, maybe a dive or two in the afternoon and maybe a night dive, but we also ran into town for really nice meals and to hang out and have a couples beers. Felt very safe, but we were warned not leave anything in a vehicle if we went off shore diving. Did less diving because there was more surface stuff.

Planning next year's trip. I have been in the Maya Riveria this year and was planning on going to Bonaire but......I have heard that Roatan is better.

I am looking for qualified opinions of these two beautiful dive spots. Which is better under water and which is better all around?

Thank you all in advance.

Roatan, I didn't buy a house on the beach there for nothing.......

I was in Bonaire in Feb and will do Roatan next January. Just wanted to offer a word about the many dive sites in Bonaire. We found ourselves driving around looking for "safer" entries. We often found the surf crashing over the rocks and boulders made entry too difficult (with camera equipment). Yes, this is somewhat dependent on the weather, but it sure limited our sites. So we usually dove our house reef and 2 other sites that offered docks to enter from. And I never found a seahorse! Will be looking in Roatan

ncchuck, thank you so much for a new and fresh view of Roatan. I am starting to lean more towards Roatan because of the more varied types of diving and higher quality of hotels for the wife.
Hoping for some more input.
The reason for switching interest from Bonaire to Roatan is because one of my dive buddies has commented that diving Bonaire is simple and great for beginners but not really challenging. She then mentioned Roatan and being more exciting in diving and more to see.
Your thoughts please.

It's really hard to compare Bonaire and Roatan. Bonaire is a desert island while Roatan is a tropical jungle. Bonaire is almost flat while Roatan has lot of small mountains or hills. Roatan is lush with forests and tropical plants. Roatan is much larger but has less sophiistication. It has more people and the average person is much poorer than on Bonaire. I think theft is more of an issue in Bonaire than in Roatan but both require common sense. Bonaire has shore diving and Roatan doesn't for the most part.

Roatan has some higher end resorts but none compare to places like Cayman. Except for West End, there is little night life on Roatan but I like it that way. I go to dive not to party. Most people never leave their resort but I recommend you get out on your none dive day. Rent a car or hire a guide.

As mentioned several times the diving on Bonaire is all on gradual slopes. Roatan has walls, slopes and rugged swim throughs and much more structure. Both have good but not great fish life. I like the wreck (Prince Albert) on Roatan. There are many excellent dive sites but Mary's Place and Calvins Crack or really great but far apart. Roatan is so big you'll not be able to see widely separated dive sites. You'd have to move to different hotels to get that variety. Operators outside West End generally visit more sites.

I lived at Paya Bay for 4 months and loved it. I believe it has the best views on the Island. It's not large and the family is friendly and will do anything to make your stay enjoyable. They now farm out their diving to some else (I think it's Tropical Divers). The dive guide/manager of the dive operation is Ben and he does a great job. The boat driver is Jim and he has lived on Roatan is entire life. He's a great character. These guys will take you just about anywhere but they will charge extra for longer trips and it can get expensive if you go far. There diving is on the north side (and east) most of the time and you'll rarely if ever see another dive boat. No walls here but great formations. Ask and they might even try to find new dive sites with you.

Paya Bay isn't fancy. It's pretty basic but you just can't believe the setting. It's truly spectacular. If you like beaches, it has two and one if very private. They try to have dinner on the beach one day a week. If they have a lot of guests, they bring in entertainment. If you like walking, visit Camp Bay about 2 miles away down a dirt road. The people are poor but very friendly and there are two bars along the road. Visit Oakridge about 5 miles away and take a mangrove tour. You won't regret it.

Turquoise Bay looked really nice but I was never there. It's is also isolated from the rest of the island however.

Always check with the state department before traveling anywhere. They have great commentary on various locations around the world. Don't get alarmed however as they often indicate caution.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

PS If you want to see my diary of my life on Roatan check out my old blog.
Diving Life

We stayed at the Plaza in Bonaire this past Sept and did the Fantasy Island Beach Resort in Roatan May 2007. For the most part I would rate the diving as quite similar. The challenging part was spotting the small and cool stuff, not the conditions. Our daily routine was also quite similar on both islands. 2 or 3 boats dives a day and an afternoon or evening shore dive. In Bonaire many folks skip the boat dives and just do shore dives. I think this is where the challenging aspect comes in. You get to pick your own spots, do your own navigation and get your own butt in and out :) FIBR was all inclusive and we found the food to be mediocre and the place itself a little more rustic. The Plaza was not all inclusive. They had 2 quite good restaurants on site and the town had many really excellent places. Expensive though! The rooms in the Plaza were much nicer than FIBR. But again I am only comparing one place on each island so for sure not a fair comparison, only what I experienced. Frankly I can't see you going wrong in either case, depending on your primary criteria. I agree with others who say you will find Roatan a bit more rustic and well, central american-ish whereas Bonaire has a more continental flare. You are just going to have to weight your needs. Oh and the ability to get to each place may make your choice easier! I actually wanted to go back to Roatan this past Sept., but getting there would have taken 2-3 stops and several hundred $ more each. Bonaire was either a 1 stop daytime flight or a non-stop red-eye. So in the end that was our deciding factor in Bonaire. Sorry, I rambled on. Feel free to ask for details.

You people/divers are soooooo cool. Thank you all so much for offering you experiences. You have opened my eyes and given me a lot to consider. Now all I have to do is find a dive buddy down there. I will snorkle with the wife but am looking forward to meeting other divers.
Again, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom