roatan trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyjellyfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
A group of friends and I are planning a trip to Roatan. Just wanted to get people's opinions on a good time to go and where to stay - or if there are helpful threads here, I'd appreciate it. All of us are divers but wouldn't mind the opportunity for other activities. We're planning on staying for a week and ideally we'd like to save on cost since most of have finished school within the last few years :wink:

Thanks!
Ken

Hey Ken, prices depend all on when you want to come down here. As a general thing, West End is cheaper than West Bay, but you can rent houses in West Bay which makes it easy affordable. We also have a B&B in West Bay. West Bay definitely has the nicest beach on the island. A large lagoon where waters are calm and great for snorkeling too. From here you can organize canopy tours(zip lines) and any other activity such as visiting the iguana farm, mangrove tours, dolphin encounter/swim, sunset boat tours. Scooter rental. West End for sure has more to offer looking at night life.
Best time to come......well, rainy season is from Oct/Nov to January. My favorite months are May/June/July. Feel free to contact me for more information on dive packages at info@mayandivers.com. Thanks and I hope this helps.

I second the West End on the NW side of Roatan. It's about a mile? long strip of bars, restaurants, shops, smaller resorts etc. Areas around resorts elsewhere on the island tend to be quieter. Will has a good summary of options with prices on his website. Accommodation on Roatan

We went in May, it was slightly buggy, often rained at night but never cut into the diving. The dive boats leave from piers scattered along Half Moon Bay and further west and the dive sites are generally less than 1/2 hr. away. So it's typical to do 3-4 dives plus a couple nights. If you want more diving than that you'll have to go to Cocoview or one of the other AI's.

We dove with Coconut Tree Divers 3 years ago, they're often recommended here. They also have some decent cabins behind (limited water view) the diveshop/store/restaurant main building - some friends stayed there. It's right in the heart of the West End also. Other lodging options also: Coconut Tree Divers - hotel options

In that area we had good $10 meals and great $20-25 steak dinners. If you want to cook there's also Woody's market (think big 7-11 with meat/produce) a block away. Some of the bigger CTD cabins have full sized kitchens.

Nobody really drives there, cabs are cheap and plentiful.

If you're going this year between 10/30 and 12/19 Fantasy Island Resort on the south side has a $499/PP double or $699PP single special that includes everything, lodging/diving/meals/drinks. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...nd-resort-offers-dive-travel-deal-decade.html

Hi all,
A group of friends and I are planning a trip to Roatan. Just wanted to get people's opinions on a good time to go and where to stay - or if there are helpful threads here, I'd appreciate it. All of us are divers but wouldn't mind the opportunity for other activities. We're planning on staying for a week and ideally we'd like to save on cost since most of have finished school within the last few years :wink:

Thanks!
Ken

If all of you are divers, I would recommend CoCoView Resort.
CoCo View Resort Roatan Scuba Roatan Diving located in Roatan, Honduras diving, scuba and snorkeling.

It is the most relaxing, fun, diver friendly resort we have found int he whole Caribbean. Overwater rooms, 4 dives per day, food is very good and plentiful... and unlimited shore diving right at your door 24/7. It is a great place for serious divers but you aren't required to do all the dives. Some people do the "day trips" that are posted on the bulletin board by the office.. each day an activity somewhere else on island, like the dolphin swim or ziplines or West End tour, etc.
It is an all-inclusive, you only pay for alcholic beverages and sodas at bar, and tips or off resort excursions. Very relaxing or dive dive dive.

My trip report:
CoCoView Resort, 2008

I would go there again in a heartbeat. :D In fact, we hope to go back in 2011.
CCV_grounds089.jpg

CCV_sunrise227.jpg

robin:D

All of us are divers but wouldn't mind the opportunity for other activities. We're planning on staying for a week and ideally we'd like to save on cost

If all of you are divers, I would recommend CoCoView Resort.

If you're interested to "save on costs", the all-inclusive CCV works superbly IF you really want to knock out 3 or more (how about as many as 5?) dives in a day.

Otherwise, the West End options might work better. You have to weigh-in a lot of variables that are not initially apparent. Obviously, the first one is as above. If you really want 3 and more a day, economically, an AI is your best option.

If you are going to save money by cooking, you have to have access to such facilities. Then remember that shopping and cooking takes time, and that should be a legitimate cost factor consideration. Your vacation time has value~ how do you want to spend it?

Another AI example: Right next door to CCV is Fantasy Island, which has recently featured tremendously discounted rates. You can have all the features of an AI and do 3+ a day with no problem.

The downside to these two AI's (and most AI's on Roatan) is that you are no-where near "other activities". On Roatan, "other activities" largely constitute drinking a bars, and this is 100% concentrated at West End. You can get to party central easy enough, but from some places it's a longer cab ride.

So, first, you have to decide and let us know... what kind of diving schedule do you want throughout the week, day be day?
That is the only way to give you a full picture answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom