Roatan Trip Report 5-15-2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

georoc01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Roatan Trip Report
5/15/2010-5/29/2010

I just got back from a two week trip to Roatan, staying at Casa Calico and diving with Coconut Tree Divers. The primary purpose of this trip was to do my DSAT Tec Deep Course. But given that the course was 10 days, I had some free days as well for some fun dives as well as a chance to do a little sight seeing. My class review can be found here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/technical-diving-specialties/337465-my-dsat-tec-deep-class.html
Accomodations - Stayed at Casa Calico, a B&B on the northern edge of the East End. It was easily within walking distance into town without being in the prime nightlife areas, so it was very quiet. We were also on a bay so there was a nice northerly breeze on most days. They have units both with and w/o kitchenettes, and at $400 a week including breakfast and wifi, seemed like a bargain. The rooms were clean and looked to have been remodeled recently. Jeff, the owner was around daily as he splits his time between here and the Cigar bar, which he also owns. Plenty of off street parking if you chose to rent a car, which we did on the last day.
Diving - Dove with Coconut Tree Divers. As I stated above, I was taking a class, which I already posted a review of, and won't repeat here. Fun dives were $25 each. Nitrox fills were $8 per tank. O2 fills were 2 cents/psi. I did 17 dives overall. Trimix is also available, but I am not sure what the rate is. Guided tech dives are $60 each. Everyone at the dive shop was very friendly and helpful. They teach quite a few classes, with small numbers. Same with the ratio of DMs to divers on the boat. Most of the time it was no more than 3-4 to 1, many times even less.
Meals - breakfast was at Casa Calico. Adjacent to Coconut Tree Divers was Cindy's Place and she had great specials for 100lmps, so lunch was primarily there. Dinners we ate at a variety of places. Probably the best value is Rotisserie Chicken, although the smoked chicken at 50-bar was a great deal too. We also ate a few times at the Argentinian grill Poca De Iris, which was very good also. Had good meals at the Lighthouse and Eagle Ray. Those meals ran closer to $20 US per person.
Other - Rented a car with Budget for the last day of off gassing. It was $60 including insurance. Was great until I went to fill the tank. The tank door wouldn't open so I couldn't refill it. At the airport they wanted to charge me a for a full tank ($58) but I eventually got the guy to take a $20 in cash in order to settle it. There is a gift shop in Coxen Hole that we hit up on both trips called Yabba Ding Ding that I go to get a bottle of the Celasse Special Hot Sauce, although the size of the bottle definitely smaller since last year.
My Dive buddy doesn't have dental insurance and had her teeth taken care of for a replacement filling. The total cost was $50. She went to Clinica Esperante, where we brought some needed OTC drugs such as pre-natal medicine for the clinic as well. Jeff, the owner of the Cigar bar said that a dental office was opening behind his place that was being sponsored by Carnival Cruise lines. If you need dental care, its worth looking into. The dentist she saw was a retired US dentist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom