Roatan resort for snorkelers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surprised no one has mentioned Fantasy Island. As RoatanMan mentioned, it is only a several minute swim to the CCV shore. Yes, there is some boat traffic, but really not all the bad. Besides, although the CCV side is likely better, FI offers a plethora of snorkeling around their property as well. I know I was constantly annoyed by the snorklers on the dock as I was gearing up my gear :wink:

In addition to that, the grounds at FI are expansive. Killer beaches, lush, tropical, live animals walking around (peacocks, monkeys, iguna, etc). Nice atmosphere.

If you goggle map the resort you'll see there is so much underwater real estate between FI and toss in the frontyard of CCV, you could virtually get lost out there.

Sloeber,
I will definitely look into FI, sounds like a great place. The only thing that is missing, is individual villa/bungalows. I know…I want it all, privacy, not necessary luxury but not rustic, great snorkeling from beach and beautiful grounds. Still looking…

Octopuppy,
This is what I am looking for on the land…this type of fauna will make my day :) Thanks

DiverSteve,
Great info, thanks. I am still considering Barefoot Cay, but I don’t think AKR is what we’re looking for. Although, I love their over water bungalows….

Maybe check out Utila, then. I haven't stayed there, but I believe the name is Laguna Beach Resort. Private bungalows (but not on ocean but rather the lagoon), nice private beach, plenty of snorkeling. I stayed one resort down... Deep Blue. The snorkeling for these resorts couldn't get easier. Just walk off the sand into the ocean on you are on the reef. The extent of snorkeling you wanna do is up to you, but you could virtually swim around all of Utila snorkeling if you wanted :p

I will add that I am at Reef House right now and it's windy (not a storm) and the entrance / exit for shore diving / snorking is a little dicey, not protected like CCV. They will takes snorks out on the boats though.

Turquoise bay on the northern side offers snorkeling as well. It has it's own 500 foot beach, 2 restraunts and many other things. There are day trips available and the dive shop that operates out of there has snorkel tours. The resort also has bungalows available for a more private experiance.

Doc

While I believe you are one of the most informed and accurate posters, I have to disagree on completely skipping the North Shore. I just got back from two weeks (my 12th year) and the snorkeling was great. It can be a bit of a swim but the sea grass between the shore and the reef is teeming with life. I saw eagle rays, souther sting rays, eels of all kinds, and fish too many to list.

Most places have docks that extend out enough so the swim is usually less than 75 yards. And as I mentioned there is a lot to see during that swim if you look. The reef comes to the surface (and can be exposed during low tide) so even in rough open seas the waves inside the reef are fairly small.

The winter months though can be a challenge because of "Northerners" but I have always gotten all the snorkeling I needed during my trips.

Bill

Wow, thank you all, this is great info.
Haven’t thought of Utila, but…why not? Laguna Beach Resort looks great. And so does Turquoise Bay, but what about the winds and waves there in February? I was trying to narrow it down, now I have 2 more options I am really considering…I know, a bad problem to have :)
RoatanMan, that is an amazing satellite image, it really is worth 1000 words, thanks.

We stayed at Deep Blue on Utila a couple years ago. And sailed past Laguna Beach daily. They have a nice beach and the overwater cabanas looked pretty nice also. It's quieter on that side of the lagoon also as there's no way to drive to "downtown" Utila from there - all crossings are via boat. It's a full AI and I've read they take guests into town some afternoons or as requested.

<<== The really excellent thing about snorkeling off Utila. Feb. might be a little too early for the optimal "season" but they've seen them monthly for the last couple of years. It's from a boat though, they're often found in deeper water.

There's a sand fly problem there also on the lagoon side so bring Deet or something. We were there late March 2 years ago - the weather was nice although a little hot during the afternoons.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom