Roatan reef condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolesorchard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got back from Cocoview. We were there 5 years ago and the reef was the most vibrant and colorful we have ever seen. This trip it was so sad, the reef is in terrible condition. While I was there, I was talking to someone who said that reefs go through cycles of boom and bust and the reef would be back to it's former self in a couple of years. I have a very hard time believing that. I'd like some input about the reef there, is it pollution, climate change, or a combination, or is it as the guy said, a cycle?

It's a cycle.

But as you now have returned to Maine, understand that your physical impact of a visit to paradise, and everything you will now do back home, will continue to lead to the degradation of the reef. Have no doubt, we are killing the planet. Enjoy the ride. It is a downward cycle, but not as visible as you might assume to perceive.

Roatan's reefs are still pretty good. I'm glad you saw them once before, five years ago. To assume you can make a valid comparison by these two visits of what? 20 hours Bottom Time each of two visits?

About 2005 there was an earthquake. A huge slab of Coral slid off of the dive site Ankas Place. Posters here and elsewhere decried "the end of Roatan". Likely you dived Ankas Place in 2017 and didn't even notice.

I have been diving in the Caribbean since 1972. Back then, Cayman was spectacular, but even then, you could see that Jamaica, Grand Bahama, and Nassau were starting to be affected by siltation and run off sedimentation. The aforementioned are Lunar today.

I started the first of many trips to the Bay Islands in 1985. I have seen incredible degradation of the reef structure, but for what remains in general Caribbean, taking ease of access into account, it's "the best of what's left".

My Roatan diving is very widespread in terms of locale, Most have been diving North, or West/North, or West. Some very few Down East, a few more the South shore. I've done a lot of it in all those widely spaced places. A few people understand there are variations and figure that they're going to move, during their 1 week, around the island and try variations. Not happening. It took me ten years of constant repetitive trips, that- and a good friend with a boat.

The Down East dive ops offer a good presentation, but lesser access and dive-op I nfrastructure. They tout the good health of their localized reef, which is true, although claiming it is a result of fewer divers is either disingenuous or a display of absolute ignorance. The earth on the South side has been largely left undisturbed unlike the lesser valued North and West which local families gladly sold off. Less soil disturbance, less mangrove cutting, less siltation, better reef.

In terms of a unique marine environment, unlike any other in the Mar Caribe, you have seen it in the area of Roatan's South....CCV and the area of French Key, East to Oak Ridge- look at a map to know. Nowhere else will you find Sunlit Southern vertical walls, very shallow walls, that are the Nursery of the Ocean.

I know you, DolesOrchard have the perception to enjoy that environment, I totally agree with your perceptions of the diverse regions of Bonaire.

Nothing is improving, nothing is even holding ground, but it's nothing you can perceive through two visits spaced over five years.

Last edited:
I personally think the north side of Roatan has improved over the years and so does NASA.

How Tourism Changed the Face of Roatán : Image of the Day

The south side is home to the airport, two cruise ship terminals, all the commercial fishing fleet, and the towns Coxen Hole, French Harbour, Los Fuertes, and Oakridge. The cruise terminals continually dredge the reef to make way for more and bigger cruise ships. The economic benefits trump the environmental impact.

Bay Islands Voice Magazine » Blog Archive » Widening the GapMore Dredging Expected in Dixon Cove to Create Easier Cruise Ship Access

Bay Islands Voice Magazine » Blog Archive » Permits in Hand Both of Roatan’s Cruise Ship Terminals Plan Major Work in 2012

Like I said, look at a map.

Mahogany Bay, French Harbor and Coxen Hole lie to the West.

They are also "downstream". Currents flow to the West. Simple hydraulics.

I referred to French Key East to Oak Ridge. Upstream. To the East. No development.

(Fishing fleet? They only park on Roatan, and the preponderance of them are moored in French Harbor to Coxen Hole, same downstream zone)

Really? A region that has improved? Four words: Black Pearl Golf Course.

Look what lies West, downstream, of all of that chemical and soil run off.

Yep, vast improvements.

Last edited:
The places to be looking are Barefoot Cay, CocoView, Media Luna Resort and Reef House Resort on the south side, and over on the north side "out east" is Turquoise Bay Resort.

Doc, I didn't presume to pass judgement, I asked a question. I always tell people that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, because you don't know the answer! I know that I have very little experience with the reef in Roatan, and pretty much the Caribbean as a whole. Thus the question.

We spoke at the bar when I was there, and I asked about the poor condition of the reef, you had very little to say then!? You brought up the fact that I am helping to ruin our environment by traveling to dive there, isn't that how you ended up there? And the fact that people like me help to support the economy and thus drive the efforts to preserve the reefs so people like me will bother to come back has to have a mixed impact. But what would be the condition of the reef otherwise? We have a real problem with global warming and it has to be addressed, but again, without a demand to see a reef in decent condition, what would the reef look like? Poor people do horrid things to their environment in the name of survival.

Cajun Diva, I was at Cocoview, what was I supposed to be looking at?

Reactions: Doc

I tried CCV for 2 weeks in 2015. I was terribly disappointed.

I tried CCV for 2 weeks in 2015. I was terribly disappointed.

A lot of people agree. They dive this South shore zone of Roatan and find it lacking.

What a diver must want and be prepared for is micro and macro. This involves carrying a glass lenses magnifier and flashlight, going very slowly, getting in close with perfect buoyancy, and having a good look.

As referenced earlier, the Roatan Marine Park (West End and West/North environs), that's the place for seeing larger Lobsters, Crabs, Parrot Fish, Baracudas and such larger pellagics.

Most newer divers have a camera in hand. They eventually get enough pix of those critters I mentioned above. Then they do the Shark Dive. They do the Shark Dive again. Then, if they're lucky, they discover the macro setting on their camera. If they don't, they might go drinking instead or just quit diving.

The macro world is fascinating, but you have to be shown where to look! It's a prime environment for this on the South side. Look at the pix in the dive mags, the shooters (Stan Waterman on down) all stay and work the South.

There's something for all divers and levels on Roatan. The reef is still in pretty fair shape on all points. Maybe try Henry Morgan on West Bay?

Last edited:
Cajun Diva, I was at Cocoview, what was I supposed to be looking at?

I was listing dive resorts in the corridor Doc referred to in his post...French Key east to Oakridge. Have you been up east? Ever visited Morat Wall? The reefs are stunning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom