Roatan recommendations. 1 day - Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottfeld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, we're only in for one day. Cruise. Crown Princess. Anyone have a recommendation of a dive op who handles the Cruises well? so far we are looking at Bananarama and Subway water sports, both are mentioned as "Cruise Friendly". Any one done the cruise thing? also site recommendations. I'm AOW, she's OW. She is coming off of a serious broken ankle, so looking to avoid heavy current or long walk ins.

We are there Thanksgiving week.

Thanks!

There is essentially no current in Roatan and all operations have piers- so no "walk-ins" (if that is what you were getting at). [The only viable shore dive is from CCV and I don't believe they are allowing Cruise Ship Divers any longer. FIBR's Shore Dive and entire operation involves a lot of walking- so skip it.]

The only place that any Roatan dive op would expose a "first day diver" (which is what all cruise-ship divers are de-facto) to any current is the Cara-a-Cara Shark Rodeo. If you have the ability to pay attention to briefings and tend not to get flustered- there are sufficient ropes and lines to stabilize your descent and ascent from the sheltered zone that they will overweight you to assure that you absolutely go plonk on the bottom- as they parade the Sharks around and have them do amusing things. That's about it for Roatan current.

They all handle cruise ship divers well- even the ones that aren't paying exorbitant percentages of booking fees to the cruise ships to attain "cruise friendly" status. They are all fine, you have mentioned but two of the best known.

Thanksgiving week could be problematic in terms of the weather. If that becomes and issue, I would lean towards Subway as they are already operational in the shelter of the South side much more than any other day-dive operation.

As far as "site recommendations", they will take you where they will take you, you really won't have a choice that represents any viable distinction. This is a flat-out given for any island, any dive-op, and any ocean. Like any "first day diver", you are an absolutely unknown quantity and considered a terrific liability in terms of supervision and safety. They will take you to calm, easy-breezy dive sites, and likely- sorry to say- they will not take you over lush corals- as most of us "first day divers" are overweighted and only slightly fewer don't involuntarily go plonk on the bottom.

Huge numbers of Cruise Ship Divers also descend upon AKR to do the Dolphin Pester, volumes which are somewhat lessened by the competing circus now located at Mahogany Bay (ride the chairlift, see Flipper) at the Cruise Ship's 6 Flags over Roatan Theme Park. (Pirate Jolly Roger Flag, British Union Jack, Spanish, Honduran, the White Flag of surrender, and then Century 21)

Go with what they are selling, sit back, enjoy the ride. Roatan is only understood as a dive destination after a minimum of three weeks diving (in total), trying the North/West End, the South shore and the Far East end. It is a small island with huge differences wherever you find yourself.

Last edited:
Native Sons Diving - Some Favorite Dive Sites - Journeys Through a Blue World

We dove with Native Sons when we came to Roatan on a Cruise Ship... Could not say enough good things about them... Located in the West End and easy to work with as they are well aware how the cruise ships can be.... late or skipping port all together!!!

We stay at CocoView when we spend time in Roatan but it was nice to see the Northern part for a change...

lee

Dove with Cocoanut Tree Divers on the West End during a RC cruise in 2010. They were great. Make sure you know what the local time is vs ship time or you might get yourself in a bind.

Thanks everyone!

Rotanman - thanks for the detailed response. the "walk in" was more of the shore dive question. I don't think the wife's new ankle hardware is up to heavy loads. I hope our next trip is long enough to spend the time needed to get to know the different areas of the island (I have heard so many good things), but we are stuck on the boat this time. I have seen many other comments on the "NEW CITY"(Mahogany Bay)(that is where we dock), like the cruise isn't getting enough of our money, now they want to keep us from spending any to support the local busineses. We plan on avoiding it like the plauge.

Altamaria - Thanks for the time comment. It's bad enough that the rooms don't have clocks, but I'd hate to miss a dive day due to a stupid time difference.

65 days till we get to Roatan. Told the guys a the LDS today, they were very jelous.

again, thanks everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom