Roatan: Questions on where to stay who to dive with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabob1234

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I have never been to Roatan but want to go this or next month
I am a single guy, an advanced diver and want to stay at an upscale resort or hotel, since it seems that the fancier places have the most reliable internet connections and I must be in touch with the US via email, the price one pays! From the postings seems to mean either Coco View or Fantasy Island?
It would be fantastic to do as much diving as I can with a dive operator who caters to advanced divers.
I know this is a lot to ask, any suggestions?
Bob Peterson

scubabob1234:
Hi

I have never been to Roatan but want to go this or next month
I am a single guy, an advanced diver and want to stay at an upscale resort or hotel, since it seems that the fancier places have the most reliable internet connections and I must be in touch with the US via email, the price one pays! From the postings seems to mean either Coco View or Fantasy Island?
It would be fantastic to do as much diving as I can with a dive operator who caters to advanced divers.
I know this is a lot to ask, any suggestions?
Bob Peterson

you might pm Dee on this board... she's been there 9 or so times to Roatan.

wb416:
you might pm Dee on this board... she's been there 9 or so times to Roatan.

Rather than share it with all?

All Dee will do is give you another glowing evaluation of CoCoView. She may have seen most of the other available Roatan AI rooms and dive ops, but for some reason she's stuck on this dreadful resort which is isolated on its own private island on the South side. Nobody there except divers and staff. No drunk locals to meet, no wandering souls "just passing through" to examine your gear. You're stuck for one week with 60 or so divers. Yeesh.

People at CCV smell so badly after a week of dive, dive, dive, that I'm afraid that Dee's judgement is a bit clouded. All they do is eat, sleep, dive. 5 times a day, always a night dive. It's a hard decision to make... should they walk out on the hard sand path right in front of the room and follow the chain out to the wreck sitting in 35fsw? Or should they get their computers on the free wireless internet before going to the bar or hot tub? A veritable nightmare. You come to vacation and not have so many decsions. Shall I dive 5 times today, six? Should I just sleep in? CCV is a nightmare.

Then there's the issue of hard core divers... and you know how they can be. Newbies eyeing them over and engaging them in conversation looking for dive tips and all. A lot of information being passed around "friendly" divers simply trying to subvert the dive instructor "paid advice" process. Shameful.

CCV guests have to wait for a wild Dolphin encounter that occurs pretty regularly at Iron Shore... skipping the opportunity to join Cruise Ship guests and highly interactive kids "interacting" with them in murky pens. Darn- no kids at CCV. I think you have to check them- leaving them at the airport before arrival at the resort. Kinda like Honduran Day Camp- they'll love it.

Know this: CoCoView dive boats have holes in them. True.

Know this, too: If you like CCV, you're gonna hate FIBR.

Then there's all those return visitors. Look at Dee herself. What would cause an advanced photographer to come back 9 times to the same place- over and over? http://www.cocoviewresort.com/nuts.html

At CCV it could be the pie.

That's why I have been back for about 52 weeks, 26 times.

The pie. Otherwise,it sucks.

mjh:
Doc has smitten the nail upon it's crux. Here is a trip report with a few pics...

Another pie freak.

I would have to cast another vote for CCV.

I liked the carrot cake myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom