Roatan on a cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njneer630

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going on a cruise next year and one of the stops is Roatan. I tend to book excursions outside of the cruise line. I know all about the boat not waiting for us if something happens, etc. Carnival uses AKR. Ive heard great things about them, but I have a feeling it'll be a "cattle boat". I'd like a smaller group. My wife and our two daughters (ages 13 & 14) are new divers. Can anyone give me any tips? If another shop/resort would be a better choice, etc. Since I'm not staying at the resort, I don't care about lodging, food, etc. I just want quality dives with a great staff. We get there at 0800, and leave at 1500. I'd like to find someone that would meet us at the dock and take us right out. That worked out great when we went to Gr Cayman on a cruise last year. We got right out, and we got back in time to have a couple of hours in town.
According to Carnival's website, a 2 tank dive with all equipment for $101 per person through AKR. So I guess the question is, is that a good deal, or would another place down there offer something better? Thanks!

Lots of people jump off of cruise ships for the day on Roatan. Take a quick :search: on this specific Bay Islands http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/ forum using the search this forum on the threads in forum line, in quotes:

"cruise ship"

You'll see lots of useful information there.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any dive ops that pick up in Coxen Hole (where the cruise ships dock). Even AKR busses you up to their resort for the dives.

I'd check with the West End dive ops like Coconut Tree Divers to see if they can accomodate you. The cab from Coxen Hole is pretty cheap and getting back shouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any dive ops that pick up in Coxen Hole (where the cruise ships dock). Even AKR busses you up to their resort for the dives.

I'd check with the West End dive ops like Coconut Tree Divers to see if they can accomodate you. The cab from Coxen Hole is pretty cheap and getting back shouldn't be a problem.

That's where you want to dive from anyway---the north side ie in front of AKR......

We did that cruise and dove with AKR. They were great people to dive with. I myself had checked into booking on my own as opposed to using the ship excursions. When all was said and done I was very happy that I didn't do that as our ports were flip flopped due to a storm. I think I would have lost my money for not being there.
AKR took us to their resort and we did the two most beautiful dives. By the time we returned to the ship we had enough time to put our gear in our rooms and leave the ship for about 30 minutes.
We loved it there and are going for a week in June with our kids.
Have fun....Are you going on the Legend?

When I was at CCV last month, we saw many of the AKR boats clear over at dive sites on the south side of the island. One couple who went to AKR (to do the dolphin experience and snorkel) said this was because the weather made for difficult diving at the sites on the West End side and the north side of the island, and that those divers were only getting one dive in per day. :idk:

As expensive as the pod-organized dives are, at least you don't have issues if your trip runs late or gets canceled.

Last edited:
I was going to post the same thing, so nice to see the search feature works!
On another note...
we're more advanced divers - any other advice for us?
thanks!

I was going to post the same thing, so nice to see the search feature works!
On another note...
we're more advanced divers - any other advice for us?
thanks!

Depends on what you mean by advanced.

Most skills that are considered "advanced" will not come into play on Roatan, certainly not on a day-dive visit from a cruise ship.

Any operation that will charter for a cruise ship excursion is going to treat the customer in a very predictable way- much as any dive op would treat any guest on their "first day". It is a universal in the dive world.

In example: They are understandably concerned about buoyancy- the safety issue as well as what delicate stuff a "first day diver" might crash down upon. This is the reason that by agreement, you can not dive (the highly overrated) Mary's Place on your first day of diving. You can watch this being violated by substandard operations. If you are offered a trip there by an operation that does Cruise Ship charters, just understand who and what they are from the get-go.

Advanced Skills on Roatan have a different meaning than the standard perceptions. Roatan rewards the slow and careful observer. The diver with precise buoyancy and excellent observational skills. The small, intricate critters as well as soft and hard Corals- they are concentrated along the shallow, sunlit South side, but kind of a PITA for the day trip diver. This is the mysterious "advanced diving skill" that I allude to. South side access can be arranged, but nowhere near as easily as the pipeline access available to the North & West sides.

There on the North & West, you will find many, many dive ops, the Dolphin encounter and a lot of visitor diversions (bars, shops, beach and more). The North/West side is the easiest place to get in and out of for the cruise ship diver and you'll feel the area gear up on specific days for the traffic volume. You will find diving there reminiscent of the better days of the 70's elsewhere in the Caribbean. With the combination of Roatan's newness and the amazing regenerative effects of the Marine Reserve, The North/West present you with an array of larger, more easily seen fish and crustaceans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom