Roatan north shore vs. south shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yellowfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone compare the north shore diving to the south shore diving on Roatan? Some resorts are based on the south shore and offer their dive sites only. The same is true for north.
Can anyone comment on color, conditions, sea life? And does anyone have other feedback on Subwaywatersports as a dive operation? How about the difference between Palmetto Bay Resort and Turquoise bay resort? thank you!

It really depends on time of year. November and December oftoen have northers forcing all dive operators onto the south shore, January can also be rough.

The rest of the year, the sea is MUCH calmer on the North shore which makes for very comfortable diving, hence the huge proliferation of dive centers on the North Western tip.

The northers bring very rough weather which means there are more soft corals on the south than the North. The North has more dramatic scenery especially the point.

Bay Island Diver and Roatan Man,
Thank you so much for your replies.
Since we are planning to go in March, do you think it will be pretty calm on the north side? Having said that, it also sounds like there is a possibility for more colorful coral on the south side. Any specific areas suggested for that? Any feedback on dive operations?
Is it worth it to drive to the south side to dive if we are staying on the north?
Either side better for seeing spotted rays or bigger schools?

One thing I can tell you for sure is that the reefs on the north east and south east end of the islands are FAR less visited than those near west end or CCV. Some people don't think that matters but having visited many areas I think it does. In addition, since there are fewer towns on the east end of the island, there is much less waste emptied into the water. The difference in algae growth is noticible on many dive sites. Do both if you can but the south east end should not be missed. Reef House is one of the oldest resorts on the island and is the only one I know of that regularly goes to the far south east dive sites. There are no wrecks up that way however so if that's something you want, you'll have to try an operator that visits them.
You really can't go wrong on Roatan as there is something for everyone. If time and money were no object I'd probably try Reef House for a week, CCV for a week and west end for a week.

And does anyone have other feedback on Subwaywatersports as a dive operation? How about the difference between Palmetto Bay Resort and Turquoise bay resort? thank you!

Hi Yellow - The road into Palmetto from French Harbour is in v. rough shape due to erosion and wash out. If there is more rain (and its not graded), getting in and out will not be a pleasant trip, even with 4x4. I heard someone complaining about it this morning. Palmetto is a beautiful place...just the road up to it is iffy.

Turquoise Bay is an awesome setting with a decent restaurant that offers A/C inside (hmmm. even tablecloths, a rarity here) or dining outside overlooking the beach/pool. I call it a boutique resort and you will get lots of personal attention. The family (McNabb) who owns it is also in the shrimp/lobster business so you'll get lots of fresh seafood. I eat there quite often because it is 3 miles away from where I live. Check out the reviews on TripAdvisor.

Subway is good - just make it clear that you are an experienced diver so you are not "mothered". I've been out with them from TB several times when the seas on the Southside have been rough. Smaller boats than the larger resorts and not as many divers. They do a lot of training and have an internship program so there is generally an adequate staff there. Patrick, the owner can give you specific details on the diving if you email him through the Subway website. Palmetto dives the sites further west than TB, but there are some very nice, nearly virgin sites near TB around Milton Bight, Pollytilly and Punta Gorda. Hope this helps a bit.:D

Castaways
Can you tell me if we are a family of 4, 3 divers, one non diver, which resort you would recommend? Turquoise or Palmetto?

Have you any feedback on the restaurant at Palmetto?

Is the dive crew at Palmetto as good as the crew at Turquoise? Do you know if small groups go out at both?

And is the road into Turquoise not as bad?

One last question...snorkeling, once we are in from diving... someone said there is no snorkeling from either place without kayaking out 1000 yards to the reef.Any snorkeling you know of that is reached by walking to an entry or swimming not that far?
Thank you so much for answering these questions.

Like ncchuck said, you really can't go wrong in Roatan, however the west side of the island has the superior diving over the south side in my opinion.... I have been an instructor in west end for many years and come rainy season we are forced to dive the south side..... Mary's place has a spectacular reef structure to it, but don't expect to see any fish!!! Micro creatures on the soft corals is all you'll get there, as well as 5 to 10 other dive operators on the same site... on cruise ship days you definitely want to try and avoid this site as AKR will drop 50 beginners on you!!! Most of the south side dives, don't expect to see many fish, however the wall formation makes it worth doing some dives.... Know lets get into west end, sting rays and eagle rays -- dive site;Tabyana's and Butchers bank,caves and canyons, hole in the wall, blue channel, canyon reef, and the spectacular Spooky channel Wrecks; El Aguila and the Odyssey, both 32mts, Reef structure; half moon bay wall, deep aquario, , a combination of reef, fish, and a deep water wreck(Josie J), in which only the Roatan Tec Team can reach, is at the point of the island or west end wall.... with the natural current moving south out the Cayman trench the current runs up over top of west end wall and will meet up with current moving west, in which is a dive site called Texas; another great site for fish and soft coral..... Schools of fish will accumulate at the point, and with schools of fish also bring the predators of the sea. The variety you get on this dive super succeeds any dive site in my opinion

In hindsight dive west end!!!!!

We stayed at Infinity bay last year and dove with Bananarama. Never saw any rays at all, and dove for a week straight. Turtles, eels, groupers, all extremely cool, but not one ray.We were trying to get away from places that were heavily trafficked, so thank you for your advice about the south side. BUT what about the north side out by Palmetto or Turquoise bay?

the west side of the island has the superior diving over the south side in my opinion.... !!
Wha?? Wouldn't you normally compare the West End to the East end and then the South Side to Northside? How can you compare the "west side" to the South side? Isnt there a north and south side of the west end of the Island? Isnt there a north and sout side of the eastr end of the island? How can you compare the west to the south? Seems to make little sense to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom