Roatan instructor recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've got this fascination with Roatan, and I think I'm ready for more training, so I'm thinking of combining the two. I'm OW with 25 warm water, great vis, easy, reef dives. I'm told I have good skills for someone with just 25 dives.

From what I see PADI is the only option for Roatan (or Utila) though I don't care what the agency is so long as the instructor is really good. It sounds like AOW is necessary but not "satisfying", so I'm wondering if in one week I can do AOW and something else. Trouble is, everything interests me so I'm having trouble deciding. Cavern? Wreck? Rescue? What do you think?

From what I've read here it doesn't sound like Anthony's Key is for me. It sounds too kid friendly, too regimented, not the best shore dives, and that side of the island sounds more buggy.

Second question. Do you know of good instructors on Roatan? I do NOT want "easy"; I'm not after the c-card; I want really good training. My OW was too easy and I need to make up for it. If this whole idea is stupid and you think I should get my training locally (NYC), please don't hold back.

Thanks all.

SteveFass:
I've got this fascination with Roatan, and I think I'm ready for more training, so I'm thinking of combining the two. I'm OW with 25 warm water, great vis, easy, reef dives. I'm told I have good skills for someone with just 25 dives.

From what I see PADI is the only option for Roatan (or Utila) though I don't care what the agency is so long as the instructor is really good. It sounds like AOW is necessary but not "satisfying", so I'm wondering if in one week I can do AOW and something else. Trouble is, everything interests me so I'm having trouble deciding. Cavern? Wreck? Rescue? What do you think?

From what I've read here it doesn't sound like Anthony's Key is for me. It sounds too kid friendly, too regimented, not the best shore dives, and that side of the island sounds more buggy.

Second question. Do you know of good instructors on Roatan? I do NOT want "easy"; I'm not after the c-card; I want really good training. My OW was too easy and I need to make up for it. If this whole idea is stupid and you think I should get my training locally (NYC), please don't hold back.

Thanks all.

No cavern available anywhere there.

Do Rescue. It is a life skill.

See http://www.docksidedivecenter.com/ at CoCoView. Patty, the owner of the PADI 5* there is a real model of an instructor, her staff is selected with equal care. CCV offers shore diving and a relaxed environment for the maximization of diving.

Many people who are in a long career development process select to stay in town where the non-resort environment allows for much cheaper housing. This is good for lengthy study-and-stay of three-six weeks for a more advanced professional path certification, etc.

For AOW and similar certs, there isn't any reason to worry about doing that on your 1 week vacation stay, but as Patty will well advise you, "pre study" as much as you can... do all of the dreary reading at home... come on your vacation, do the dives, write an exam, show your skills, do the certification. Then dive, dive ,dive.

The best skill builder is multiple dives. At CCV, it is a snap to do 5 a day. Do a night dive each and every night. Go get that training, or just get doing it if you have the skills.

The broadest base of dive experience in the widest variation of conditions builds "the best" divers in many books. I see nothing wrong with becoming an expert in warm water diving. It's warmer (really?) and the fish are prettier. The more you perfect your buoyancy and the better your observational skills are honed (as your comfort level increases), it will absolutely amaze you as to what you will see that you merely glided over in the past. Go slow, see more. Why not do a Reef Creature ID/Behavior Course, Patty is the grand master of that skill. She pretty well taught me everything I know and I am 1/2 as good as she, yet people are amazed when (even I) take them on a dive. I don't know squat compared to her!

Fall out of your CCV room and into the shore dive.

Simple.

I totally agree with Doc. Rescue is one of the most important classes you can take. It's something you'll rely on in ways you can't imagine. Besides, it's the most fun you'll ever have in a class!

One our many trips to CCV, we've seen many classes taking place, both in and out of the water. I'm always impressed with the quality of the instructors and you can see the difference in the skills of their students.

I would check out Reef Gliders, a small dive centre in the West End. The team is very experienced and Andrew is a top Manager. I would prefer this to a big resort.

Thanks guys but my travel partner wants to stay in a small place in the West End, so no resorts. Sorry to hear about the lack of caverns. Don't remember which website talked about the caverns (Bears Den, Pillar Coral, Hole-in-the-Wall), but it sounds now like it was over-stating them. Still don't know about instructors there yet, but from reading old threads it sounds like there's lots of good dive operators in the West End.

I'm sure Rescue is important, but is it something to do in paradise when your time there is only a week? Do you think a class that would also show off Roatan would be smarter? Something like Wreck or Night or Deep or animal identification?

BobScuba's first post above sounds like the way for you to go! Maybe they even have shore diving.

SteveFass:
Thanks guys but my travel partner wants to stay in a small place in the West End, so no resorts. Sorry to hear about the lack of caverns. Don't remember which website talked about the caverns (Bears Den, Pillar Coral, Hole-in-the-Wall), but it sounds now like it was over-stating them. Still don't know about instructors there yet, but from reading old threads it sounds like there's lots of good dive operators in the West End.

I'm sure Rescue is important, but is it something to do in paradise when your time there is only a week? Do you think a class that would also show off Roatan would be smarter? Something like Wreck or Night or Deep or animal identification?

I would get all of your training at home. Sounds like you could use some cold water diving :) I like to go on vacation to relax, not take classes. However, if you really want to, there was a really good instructor named Liber at Banana Rama www.bananaramadive.com on West Bay beach, which is a water taxi ride from West End. Quiet guy, but super instructor. You could call and see if he is still there teaching.

I'd ask RoatanMan about dive shops on West End and West Bay Beach, I know he has mentioned some are better than others, and only a few have retained instructors for very long periods (job satisfaction???) Anyway, that was in a post a long time ago, but it could be important.

Hey thanks guys! I didn't even have Reef Gliders on my list, but I like a lot what I see on their website. Shore dives would be a huge plus - I'll ask them.

Kent - I wanted to take classes because my travel partner isn't a diver and I wanted to avoid having to look for dive buddies and worrying about what kind of buddy I get. Bad plan ya think?

SteveFass:
Hey thanks guys! I didn't even have Reef Gliders on my list, but I like a lot what I see on their website. Shore dives would be a huge plus - I'll ask them.

Reef Gliders do seem to offer cave diving on Roatan- new one on me.

One of the "cavern" sites that they mention, Hole in the Wall, I have been to many times. It is about a 2.25 hrs trip around and East of their location by one of their pangas.

They probably have shore diving, too.

How long are you going to be in Roatan for? I just returned from a week at Cocoview myself, and it seemed to me that there wasn't a whole lot to offer to a non-diver. Maybe 3 days worth of activities, tops (unless he/she is interested in just laying on the beach all day?).
I took a Nitrox class from Dockside while I was there, and was very impressed with the shop and their attitude. Marc was our instructor, but we spent a considerable amount of time talking to Patty, too, and would gladly take another class with either of them. Patty's sense of resonsibility to the guests at the resort really stood out to me.
I guess what I'm suggesting, then, is to see if you can't arrange to dive with them anyway, even if you're no staying at the resort. I think their charge for diving for people not staying there is very reasonable, and they were a quality organization.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom