Roatan group accomodation suggestions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leaveonlybubbles

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Considering taking a group of 10-15 to Roatan in August...

Looking for good accommodations:
-Not looking for all-inclusive, so looking for someplace where dive shop would pick us up and walking distance to restaurants, without being noisy... Was looking at Cocolobo and Seagrape... would appreciate suggestions and reviews?!?

Dive op suggestions also welcome...

Thanks!

Sea Grape has their own on-site diveop. Otherwise there's Coconut Tree Divers or Native Sons just a short walk away in the West End. With 10-15 CTD might give you their boat for the week - our group (7) and five ladies from TX shared their boat all week. We stayed at Sea Lodge (next door to Sea Grape) and it was a 5min. walk to Coconut Tree and the West End. I have no personal experience with Native Sons but they get good reviews here. CTD has the bigger boat - a group your size would fill Wish You Were Here nicely.

You could hire a van to pick you up but it seems silly. I walked my gear down to CTD the first day and left it there all week, they'll help you transport it off the boat, help clean it and then store it inside the store once it's dry all week. It's a safe, low stress option. Bay Island Diver (Will) is their course director.

I recommend Coconut Tree, good bunch of serious divers that know how to have fun also. Without asking in a week of diving they covered the best sites in the area. Also if asked they set up trips with competitors so you can dive the south side - we dove Mary's Place and the Prince Albert Wreck with Barefoot Divers - and the Waihuka shark dive. Tree at CTD made all the arrangments for us including van transport. You can also do the Dolphin Dive at Anthony's Key Resort - it's about 10mins. drive east.

It's pretty much dead quiet on the point at night. They were building a few condos nearby during the day but I expect that's done by now. Except for the waves breaking on the ironshore - I found that relaxing at night. Right behind the resorts is a good patch of jungle so mosquitos and sand flies are prevalent. No personal experience with either resort but as a drive-by Cocolobo looked nicer.

Food is not a problem either you'll find some good restaurants in the West End. Argentinean Grille was one, Oolonthoo (Thai - pricey), Rotisserie Chicken - not pricey but great food, and about 20 other places within walking distance. Woody's Market or the small market at Coconut Tree for snacks/alcohol etc. Marco (CTD Instructor) did a nice job listing dining options here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/277785-taste-west-end-roatan.html

One last thing, if you have extra luggage space please consider bringing medical supplies for Ms. Peggy's Clinic. There's an ongoing list of clinic/OTC med needs at the bottom of the page here: http://www.clinicaesperanza.com/ If you go to AKR, the clinic is nearby.

Last edited:
Cocolobo and then Coconut Tree Divers. Since Diver Steve outlined all about CTD I'll cover Cocolobo versus Seagrape.
Seagrape is an older resort with rooms or cabins. Nice pool, no bar or restaurant on site. We were there in Jan. and while we stayed at Cocolobo, our friends who decided to join us last minute could not get into COcolobo (booked up). So I recommended they try either Land's End of Seagrape. Room at Seagrape was decent, nothing special, bit small. One day after diving we joined our friends around the pool at Seagrape to cool off. There were no other resort guests on site. The owner came up to us and asked (in these terms) " Who the he!! are you ?" We politely explained that 3 of us were guests at his resort (Seagrape) and the other 2 were staying at Cocolobo. He then proceeded to scream at us, telling us that the resort was for guests only (which I understand if there were any guests) and he kicked us off the property.
Now Cocolobo. The managers Ron and Bonnie are outstanding. They go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. After the Seagrape episode, we all hung out at Cocolobo, which welcomed us with open arms, and a well stocked bar. The rooms are large, very nice, and breakfast is included with the price.
I would never recommend Seagrape to anyone after the way he treated us and his PAYING guests. Pay a few more bucks and go to Cocolobo. You will not regret your decision.

Diversteve has provided an excellent summary of options. We have stayed a both Cocolobo and Seagrape. Liked Cocolobo better: newer and smaller, great breakfast, slightly more expensive. Take bug spray! Dove with both CTD and Native Sons and both are excellent, concerned with safety, amenable to suggestions as to dive site(s), and fun folks. A little different vibe as to each shop and, for me at least, hard to quantify the difference. Your group will have a wonderful time with either option. Sigh, I envy you ... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom