Roatan diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went a year ago and was a little worried since I was only OW and many of the dive ops websites made references toward "advanced" dives. I went to the West End and dove with West End divers for 19 dives. Of that only two dives were over 75'. Hole in the Wall and the ship wreck close to AKR were both a little over 100'. I think as long as you demonstrate you are capable you will be OK.

OW is fine too.....

AOW is more than fine. I wonder when West End Divers started letting folks dive those sites without AOW cert. I'm thinking you must be a very experienced diver, flyboy. Perhaps another reader here may not be and in that case, they should be prepared that their chosen dive operator may not let them dive the deeper sites, regardless that the diver may think they are experienced enough.

That said, many years ago they used to let me go to 130' at the Hole in the Wall. I'd look over the ledge. Last few times if I snuck past 105' the rattles started going off like crazy! Lol

We have never had any issues with just OW diving multiple times with AKR, FI, CCV and a LOB.

Well it’s my first trip there. We are Staying at Media Luna and will be using the onsite shop.my s/o does not dive. When I worked it all out we can both go with a tour provider and all inclusive, for the same price as just me to CCV for a week. Yup I will get a lot less dives..... but it’s a reason to go back is t it?

I like Media Luna, quiet and relaxing. I think Mary's Place was the only deep dive, and you don't need to do the channel at the bottom. It is not much different at 70 ft than it is lower.
If you have bought Aqua Adventurers package then you can shore dive too, if you find a buddy.

I like Media Luna, quiet and relaxing. I think Mary's Place was the only deep dive, and you don't need to do the channel at the bottom. It is not much different at 70 ft than it is lower.
If you have bought Aqua Adventurers package then you can shore dive too, if you find a buddy.
Not sure what pkg that is. But the one I got is 10 boat dives plus 1 guided night dive. Unlimited shore diving 8-5 lol

Calvin's Crack and Mary's Place are two deeper dives that many divers ask for. Both are similar but I would prefer Calvin's. The running joke is to not mix up the two names... Nothing too difficult about diving Roatan other than staying within your limits. I love the walls as the formations underwater are beautiful. However, over the years it seems there is less fish every year since I been there.

If you're comfortable in the water you should be fine in most of the diving that you can do there whether you are AOW or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom