Roatan Diving - any good packages via resorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Charles.

I don't get to dive as much as I like, so the next best thing for me is to watch scuba videos. The quantity and quality of diving there makes it easy to create a decent video. Glad you liked it.

Ronscuba - your videos are amazing! I've sent links to friends and family so they can really see what we see down there.

Thanks for bringing back the good memories of Roatan

I know my friends and family are kind of tired & bored watching my videos, so it's nice to know Scubaboard members like them. :D

Syman must not have been to San Andres to think FIBR sucks!
I have a 'rule' in the 50 countries I have been to in the world, not to go back because there are so many other places to see. I am breaking that rule to return to FIBR this christmas again. it is the best, most convenient diving I have ever done. No serious diver uses rental gear, so why make it an issue? My room was 3 doors from the dive shop; walk out the door, grab gear from locker and plop it on the boat. 20 min from bed to 40'.
Granted, the food was not 'gourmet', but no one starved and there was enough selection that vegetarians and shellfish allergies could have a choice every meal.
Personally, I would LOVE to go to CoCo View instead, but my buddy is not a 3-dive a day diver, so, topside IS a consideration.
Other points about West End convenience are true, its not close enough for nightly visits, but you HAVE to go once; it is a fantastic place, theres a bar called the Blue something-or-other with a dirt floor that just rocks!
It will be a great place to see lots of different things from macros (flamingo tongue, seahorses,juvenile spotted drum, Queen Blenny, all firsts for me) to turtles, eagle rays, spotted morays on night dives (they use your light to hunt, an amazing sight) are breathtaking.
it is mostly reef and wall diving; thats OK with me, all I see all summer here are wrecks, wrecks, wrecks, and zebra mussels!
I did get cold in a 5mm, but I am a cold diver. This year I will be in 8mm, and know I will be fine.
I hope you enjoy it!

For a limited look of Coco View go to their website and check out their two webcams. About 8:00 AM cst you'll see the boats and divers getting ready to go out and around noon you'll see them coming in. The routine is repeated about 2:00 and 4:00. The other webcam is the approach to the beach and the view can ruin a good days work if you're landlocked and would rather be diving.

Hello Popsiclediver, this is majcdiver from Colorado Springs,Colorado Welcome to Scubaboards, if you get a chance checkout Coco views website then checkout diving in December under travel forums? Me and my wife are taking a group there in Dec. are special guest is Stan Waterman- 5 time emmy award winning cinematographer,producer of " The Deep ",and " Into the Blue ". You can also contact us @ Coraldreamsscuba@yahoo.com

I have only been to Roatan once, but talking to other divers down there, it really depend on what you want. I got a hotel 3 boat dives a day at Pura Vida in the West End for about $500 for 5 days of diving a 7 nights. You are on your owm for lunch and dinner tho.

Mike,
How did you like Pura Vida? accomodations, meals, dive op, people. I am going down there Nov 19 -22 and am trying to lock in a resort.

Thanks Gordon

Just thought I'd my two cents worth! I just got back Saturday from a week at Fantasy Island. For those that called it a "dump", that is their opinion, but I'd argue that this was the best diving value I'd ever encountered in five years of dive trips to many Caribbean countries. For about $1000 a week single occupnacy, I was treated to 19 spectacular dives, decent room, and arguably great food most meals. Before going, I spent considerable time lurking in this Board to get some ideas on both where to go and what to expect. Fantasy was my second choice behind CoCo but after being subjected to Fantasy's brand of diving and friendly service, you could do MUCH worse on the Island of Roatan. That said, I believe everyone has different standards and while I dive, I don't need a four star resort. I talked to several other visitors at the Airport and Fantasy was the choice that week, based on the weather as AKR and the other side of the Island, had to be bused to our side for their diving making 12-14 dives the max.

To all those unsure about diving Roatan, don't put it off. You'll be surprised at how good it is, as I was. Thanks to everyone on the Board for all the good advice!

Trav, that fits my experience last year at FIBR to the letter. Great value diving, expecially since we were in double occupancy.

Cheers!:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom