Roatan Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscheier

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got back from Roatan. I stayed at the Mayan Princess and dove with Mayan Divers. The last few years I have been diving in Bonaire and there is no comparison between two. The worst dive in Bonaire is better than the best dive I had in Roatan. I like to see fish and lots of them. There were a lot of dives where there were little to no fish. We dove all over so it was not just one spot.

I do have to say that Mayan Divers was great. Best dive shop I have dove with. I highly recommend (if you are going to Roatan).

Mayan Princess, is run down but they are renovating in a few weeks.

J

Very interesting, and not the impression I've had from other reviews. Been to Bonaire 6 times and thinking about Roatan. How many dives did you get in? Had it been raining and how was the viz.?

I've posted similar experiences as Jscheier.

Jscheier -there was no lack of lionfish though was there?

We saw a dramatic difference between our last two trips to Roatan that were 2 years apart. The dive masters there don't seem to care about the lion fish problem and do not hunt them. The DMs at Mayan Divers are told specifically not to hunt them while guiding, I know, I asked. What was teaming with incredible life just a few years ago is now pretty spare. (this is in regard to diving on the north side of the island, south side might be totally different). There are some spots that are exceptions, we were there during the grouper congregation and that was interesting and there were no lack of groupers on that one dive, probably over 100 easily, but for the most part the rest of the dive spots were painfully lacking in fish life compared to what we were used to.

Missed the run downness of the Princess last time I was there, if you're referring to a specific room that might be, I didn't see it in the general property, nor in our room.

Yep, Lionfish are gobbling up everything at an alarming rate. Can't believe they were told not to kill them. I've been diving here for more than 15 years and each time I go out snorkeling or diving, I see less and less fish. That's my observation - and I stand by it. My favorite diving is also Bonaire.... too bad the cost of living there was so high when we decided to relocate outside the states.

I agree that there aren't as many fish in Roatan as some other Caribbean locations, but for ME, the draw to Roatan is the gorgeous healthy reef system. The coral and sponges are animals, too, you know! I marvel at the reefs there, their complexity and range of coral forms present. I am also thrilled with the sponges, every color of the rainbow, all sizes and types, that are found in Roatan.

If you want fish, then maybe Bonaire or Cozumel (we have done both numerous times, so I know what I am talking about) are better choices.... if you want to see fabulous reefs, Roatan is a clear winner.

And as far as small fishes go... Roatan has more seahorses than either place (Bonaire or Cozumel) from my experience. Last trip to Bonaire (2011) we found zero seahorses, zero frogfish. Last trip to Cozumel (this year) I found 1 seahorse. Squid - all three locations have them, but I have seen the largest schools of squid on Roatan, in fact, we had squid at several different sites there on different days, including the shore dive.
Pipehorses - saw lots of those in Roatan and Cozumel, so that is a tie. Other little blennies and bottom dwelling fish - all 3 destinations have those, you just need to be skilled at finding them, and learn to be still so the fish will come out and show themselves!

just my 2 cents.
robin

Sea horses are more prevalent then most of us realize.

For instance did you know there are at least 7 sea horses within 5 minutes swim in front of the Dive Paradise pier at Hotel Cozumel?

I've been told many times there are no sea horses at Isla Mujeres. Found one, the young dive master stared at it forever, didn't want to leave, later he said he'd been diving there for 5 years and never seen one, he was told there are none. Last trip to Bonaire we toward the end of the trip we were tripping over sea horses... we had developed the 'eyes' toward the end of the trip, once you find one it's easier to find the next one...

I'm going to venture a guess without knowing where you were diving in Roatan that it wasn't the north side but was the south side. 3 years ago we were shown a half dozen sea horses during north side diving. Last time we were there we saw none, when we asked about them, most replies were that nobody has seen a sea horse in the north side in years. More than one person reported a story similar to "there was one around a couple of years ago, we tried to keep it's location a secret, but a local found out about it and it disappeared..." between the locals and the lion fish I think the north side of Roatan is hurting for sea horses. From what I've heard, it seems like the south side is faring better, with more care being taken at culling lionfish there, which seems like it might be making the difference.

This was taken earlier this week at Mandy's Eel Garden, so...not so sure about the no seahorses on the north side "in years".

seahorse.jpeg

.... What was teaming with incredible life just a few years ago is now pretty spare. (this is in regard to diving on the north side of the island, south side might be totally different)...

Yes, it is. Dramatically so.

This is an issue of perception and awareness. Maybe 80% of divers out there are still absolutely agog by schools of Sergeant Majors and still taking pictures of Squirrel Fish and being terrorized by Barracudas. They gawk at Parrotfish and are mesmerized by Lobsters and Crabs.

If they can see past their SPG to even glimpse them.

This creates the popularity of placed wrecks, Shark dives and Disney style Aquarium dives... they present something obvious to see, something no one can miss, something that we all know the names of, something we can talk about over the water cooler back home.

As most divers struggle against buoyancy while trying to gather in a "wreck", very very few recognize what is hidden right in plain view. Oh yes, a few might see some fish schooling around the superstructure, but how many take the time to look for the intricate, small stuff?

IMG_1481.jpg

Not many see things, even when they are "right there".

Roatan is not a place for the "intermediate" diver.

Noob divers can do well almost anywhere, and Roatan presents no major challenges in terms of conditions.

Intermediate divers, those who may still feel compelled to do a canned Shark Dive Rodeo, they are somewhat lost for stimulus after they have grown tired of looking at the wrecks themselves (which are comparatively quite deep on the North side). These are the Roatan visitors in the group that clamor for the shape of "reef architecture", usually in the forms of things like Mary's Place, Calvin's Crack and Dolphin's Den... some are getting past "large fish" and looking at the shapes of the reef itself. (More pure geo-structural variation occurs on the North side which makes it very attractive to this group of divers) Since most traveling divers fit into the "intermediate" category, and because most visitors to Roatan go with North/West dive ops- it is really no wonder that Roatan doesn't hold much sway in terms of "schools of fish" on Trip Advisor reports. It is simply a matter of the volume of divers and their perceptions which are based on their attained skill sets.

Advanced divers, and I also refer to those who have seen all of the basic critters, they too can go flatline on Roatan if they aren't diving on the South side and possess good observational skills and perfected buoyancy. This is a hard curve as most divers who are at this point of learning have been so jaded and burned by following DM's around- they are wont to do this and believe they have better dives all on their own.

193d.jpg

Far from the case. It took me 100+ dives of following around good naturalist DMs on Roatan's South side before I could find anything on my own. I always tell divers- find a good DM, someone who can find you a SeaHorse on every dive, a Pipefish three times in a week- and stick with him.

509e.jpg

The South is a different environment. Protected from storms, shallow vertical walls that drop from 3' to 90fsw, always drenched in Sunlight. It is the Nursery of Roatan.

aark113.jpg

There's a lot more to be seen than "bunches of fish", but only if you have the skills.

This is why I refer to Roatan's South side as "advanced diving". Not because of current, nor rough entry, no deep dives... the only "advanced skill" required is perfected buoyancy and observational skills- the ability to nose-in on something small, hold a flashlight, have a peek, then- take a breath and back away without crashing your head into the coral. Those make up advanced diving, not just the training modules to get the C-Card.

It's all about where you are "in the water column". If you are there or really desire to get there, the South side of Roatan is indeed a different kettle of fish.

This was taken earlier this week at Mandy's Eel Garden, so...not so sure about the no seahorses on the north side "in years".

View attachment 136140

That looks fake to me..

just kidding

Very cool. Makes me have to live by my own words, that sea horses are more prevelant than we realize!

Reactions: Doc
The only diving I have done at Roatan has been with AKR. We found many small things including these in June. Almost all were taken on different days. My pics aren't the best. I'm learning. Lots of Seahorse at Roatan. The only problem I have with most dive masters/guides is that they go too fast. I am almost always the diver dragging behind the group. It takes time to find the small things.

---------- Post Merged at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Although I like to see the small things I still take pictures of lobster, crabs, lion fish, groupers, and sometimes a squirrel fish too.:crafty:

I really love wall diving. Maybe I'll come to dive the south side next year.

Attachments

• P6045193aB6-4.JPG
    P6045193aB6-4.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 75
  • P6060140aC6-6.jpg
    P6060140aC6-6.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P6055303a.jpg
    P6055303a.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 85
  • P6055285.jpg
    P6055285.jpg