Roatan Dive Resort for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My personal recommendations:

You place access to diving above all other above water diversions.

Me, too- but not everyone does. A lot of vacationers enjoy putting on a Hawaiian print outfit and go out for two or three nights of Sunset watching (until midnight) and have a few beers. Nothing wrong with that, but CCV is just not the place to base your trip from. Just too isolated from all of that.

As far as your ratings on specific diving categories, I agree wholeheartedly. By day 2, beginner divers are making shore dives with regularity~ along with the old timers. Something for everybody. Many, many first-ever Night Dives are done at CCV, almost always followed by a second and third- all in the same week.

Yep. Probably the ONLY resort that really does a great job of catering to all experience levels. You're all treated as though you're responsible, trained, and certified divers. Like someone else said "just as it should be."

Thats an interesting one. Which others have you dived with in the last 5 years?

What was it you didn't like about them? You must have dived with the majority of Roatan's Dive ops to make a sweeping statement like that?

You must have dived with the majority of Roatan's Dive ops to make a sweeping statement like that?

And you must work for another dive op in Roatan to get so defensive about it. I should think that since you represent a dive operator, you should not be commenting in this thread at all.

-Charles

You answered my question in a round about way.

You had a great time at Cocoview, as do many divers. Without really knowing anything about the other operations you decided to draw comparisons.

My only question is does what said really help others make an INFORMED decision. Unless you can give some fact to back up your assertions maybe you should just comment on what you know to be fact, as do I.

Roatanman in his last post gave a nice balanced viewpoint, Cocoview serves their niche extremely well, arguably they could be described as peerless, but that wouldn't really do FI and BIBR justice. But it IS a niche. People who want to go diving, diving, diving and go home needing a vacation. When i go skiing/snowboarding, that is what I want so I understand the mentality well.

Other operators on the island serve a very different niche, they tend to do more hand holding of the their divers and there is little opportunity to dive independently from the group/instructor. They rarely hire divemasters preferring to have instructors do the the instructing and divemastering job. When we look at the original post it it advice for BEGINNERS. I still maintain that a beginner may fall in to the category of liking to have their hand held for a few more dives before doing the independant thing. My ONLY financial interest in any dive operation on this island is the PRO training which i currently do at Coconut Tree Divers, but am not necessarily exclusively teaching there, my involvement with diving on the island stretches beyond Coconut Tree and the West End.

In my posts i try very hard to deal in facts, giving a balanced view of the pros and cons of different dive options. With the EXTENSIVE knowledge I have of Roatan, having dived with many of the operations on the island in five years living full time here, I think my contribution to this forum, far from being unwanted and is extremely valuable to most people.

Especially when it points out bogus posts by people who only have minimal experience on the island but feel qualified to recommend one particular resort as the BEST on the island, all things to all men etc etc. I do have interests on the island but even I don't make outrageous claims like that. Which just highlight the ignorance of the poster rather than knowledge.

I drove in to Coxen hole today as i do about three times a week along the coast road meaning I had a great view of both the North and South coasts of the island. As usual for the months of May, June, July, August and September the trade winds were strong meaning there were many white caps and what i would describe as quite rough seas. Not the sort of thing many beginner divers would enjoy. That means that people at south side resorts CCV and FI amongst others, are either limited to diving inside the reef or have to brave these seas. The north side was a flat calm. In the months of November December, January and February the opposite will be true, and it will be raining on both sides of the island seriously effecting visability. Every year the effects of rain on vis get worse due to the unchecked construction which is happening. This is a MAJOR consideration for anyone planning a dive trip anywhere. Especially if you are reasonably new to diving or prone to sea sickness. How about that for a balanced opinion backed up by fact which no one can argue with? See how it differs from just saying one place is better than all the rest full stop?

Last edited:
Will,

This thread is about "Roatan Dive Resorts for Beginners." I voiced my opinion. That's all we can do since this really is a question about opinions. The facts are that there are many dive ops in Roatan. There are no facts about which one is the best, best for a given type of diver, best for a given time of the year. It's all opinions.

My point to you was about what's motivating that opinion. I'm motivated by sharing my experience diving there with other divers. I'm hoping someone will come along, read it, go on a trip to Cocoview and come back saying "Yea, you nailed it. We had all kinds of divers there and they all had a great time."

Since you either own, work for, or operate a dive op in Roatan, your motivations are suspect. They have to be. You can't claim at all to be impartial since you're making a living wholly or in part from the diving industry in Roatan. There's nothing wrong with that and honestly, I envy you.

Do you have some FACTS that prove Cocoview isn't suitable for beginner, intermediate and experienced divers?

-Charles

your motivations are suspect.

What motivates me most to post on this board is my love of travel and exploring other cultures.

It is for that reason you will see me regularly posting on topics that involve enjoying ALL that Roatan has to offer, not just the diving. I accept this is a Scuba forum, but when diving in different places it doesn't hurt to learn a bit about the countries you are in.

In the same way many religious people like to try and spread their faith I like to encourage people to learn more about the way other cultures think and perceive the world. It frustrates me to see so many visitors to the island come and stay in foreign owned resorts which almost isolate their guests. People who fail to go out and feel the vibe of the island both during the day and at night are missing out. Not taking the time to speak to a local who doesn't derive their income from tourism and listen to their viewpoint on the way the world spins is someone missing out on much of the joy of travel. I usually write these firey posts after watching too much Fox News.

This is one of the best threads I have read regarding Roatan. Each and every post has accurately painted either a detailed or broad brushed picture of what the island and its varied Dive Ops have to offer. And BID is correct when he mentions the "other" points of interest e.g. an iguana farm that Geiko Insurance would envy, to informative jungle flora tours, beachy nightlife, and facinating towns such as Coxes Hole.- Roatan has it all. My diving experiences have been at AKR, ILR, (Northside) and CCV (Southside). I've stopped in at Coconut Tree (West End) and found them extremely friendly knowledgeable. All are very different and have their pros and cons depending on individual preferences. Myself, I have narrowed in on a Dive-Till-You-Drop (5 to 6 dives per day) annual stay at CCV. I believe it to be very "New Diver Friendly" regarding both boat and shore diving. And they have one thing that none of the other places have - Poncho!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom