Roatan: Anthony's Key or Inn of Last Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metroave

New
Reaction score
I've read all the comments on these two resorts, and I'm trying to decide between them for a trip at the beginning of May (soon!). AKR seems bigger w/more activities, but ILR looks good too. I'll be travelling alone, I'm an experienced diver, and I like a peaceful/knowledgable atmosphere. (I hated Club Med). Can anyone comment?

Many thanks,
Heather

Hi Heather,

I just returned from AKR two weeks ago and had a wonderful time. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. It is a big resort with several boats leaving each day, but I never really felt crowded. There was plenty opportunity to be alone to reflect, etc. Happy decision making!

Mike

I've been to AKR and highly recommend it.

Recent ratings of Inn of Last Resort in Undercurrent indicate that is appropriately named.

I don't subscribe to undercurrent anymore (too expensive!), but do you recall anything about why people there didn't like ILR? Just searching message boards for trip reports I haven't read negatives about them.

re. AKR, what would you say about room selection? I'm not really an air contintioning person, but I've read reports by people who say you shouldn't stay there in anything but AC rooms due to bugs. Would you agree?

Also re. AKR, would you say the DMs give good leaway to experienced divers w/computers to come up when ready, esp. if diving nitrox? How does it work with your gear - do you take care of it at the end of the day, is there somewhere to store it, do they take care of it, etc?

Many thanks!

Heather

AKR offers a friendly, low key, relaxing environment. I've been a half dozen or more times and always found it to be outstanding. Not fancy by any stretch of the imagination, it's just very comfortable. Staff are helpful and friendly.

Re rooms, bugs really aren't an issue in the AC/no AC decision. Throughout Roatan (and the Bay Islands), no-see-ums are just a part of life and you learn to work around them, but I've never had a problem with bugs in the rooms (with or without AC). I've been in AC and no AC rooms even in the August heat and, while AC can certainly be welcome at times, I've found no AC rooms on the Key to be perfectly comfortable because of breezes off the water. But I suspect the AC issue is one of personal comfort and preferences.

DMs give a reasonable degree of latitude for experienced divers, computers, and nitrox. They don't go ballistic re people exercising some freedom once they are comfortable with a diver's skill.

Re gear, there is a gear shack & fresh water rinse tank right at the dock, mere feet away from the dive boats. You leave your gear there and it is safe and secure. You therefore don't have to tote your gear more than about 10 feet! Tanks are handled by staff, but you load/unload/rinse your own gear.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I will be down at AKR at the end of the month and the first week of May. Let me know if you're going to be there too.

Just a word about bugs on Roatan. Before going, I read a lot of advice on what works and doesn't work for bugs there. One said that local things work the best, another that Skin-so-soft (sp?) wasn't any good at all. I've found that the most important thing for not getting bit is go put your protectant on religiously. Don't leave your room without it. In our group of ten, many of us got bit quite a lot but one couple that used skin-so-soft and did so religiously had only two bites the enitre week. I did not do so because I felt that the no seeums didn't hurt or itch, so why bother? Well, I came back home and itched for more than a week after getting here (I had an AC room). I'm convinced that the protectant doesn't really matter, just be sure to use it.

By the way, if you can get your hands on the Travel Section of the New York Times from March 30, you can read a nice article on AKR.

Mike

You might not have much choice about rooms. We booked in late February for the week of May 3-10 at AKR, and they were out of all but the hillside AC rooms. I am not sure if they have booked many more since, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were all out of AC rooms by now. I have seen AKR and IOLR, but haven't stayed at either yet. Just looking at the facilities and such at each, I would choose AKR as I obviously have. As for bugs, I haven't read anything about anybody having problems with bugs IN the rooms AC or not. Its mainly out on the sandy areas where you have to worry about no-seeums. Good luck and ask away if you have more questions. I have been to Roatan before just haven't stayed at AKR or IOLR.

AggieDiver

AC or not, you'll run into no-see-ums. They're not bad with precautions.

Skin-so-soft is useless against them. In several groups, the best stuff we found is 33% Deet cream (it works better than 100%). Go to REI or someplace to find it.

I don't have Undercurrent in front of me but recall that food, service and quality of accomodations were issues at Last Resort.

Service is dotingly attentive at AKR and food is good (can't choose between steak and Lobster? Take both). You'll live without AC this time of year and may enjoy the sound of the rain forest at night instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom