Roatan AKR or FI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chenry

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are planning to go to Roatan sometime between now and April, March or April are more likley due to work. We are both OW certified, but are still beginners. My brother is also coming with us as, not certified yet, and may try to get certified on Roatan, if he can't before we go.

We have narrowed our choices of accomodations down to either Anthony's Key or Fantasy Island. One is on the NW side the other on the South side, middle of Roatan. Does anyone have any insight, as to which resort might have better overall diving conditions that time of year, or which side might have the best chance for calmer seas on boat dives. We are looking for good shore diving as an option, in addition to boat diving. FI looks to have a bigger beach area, wife likes the beach, but how does the shore diving and snorkling compare to that of AKR. AKR is more expensive, but if its worth it that's OK. AKR has the Dolphin encounter, which would be nice, but I don't want to base my decision on that. Does anyone know if either resort is more "shore dive friendly" than the other, such as ease of getting your gear to the site (we will be bringing all of our own gear except tanks), where you get your tanks from, stuff flike that. As far as the shore diving is concerned, would one be better than the other for quantity of sea life, health of reefs, size of the area to dive, etc.

Any of you thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

chenry:
My wife and I are planning to go to Roatan sometime between now and April, March or April are more likley due to work. We are both OW certified, but are still beginners. My brother is also coming with us as, not certified yet, and may try to get certified on Roatan, if he can't before we go.

We have narrowed our choices of accomodations down to either Anthony's Key or Fantasy Island. One is on the NW side the other on the South side, middle of Roatan. Does anyone have any insight, as to which resort might have better overall diving conditions that time of year, or which side might have the best chance for calmer seas on boat dives. We are looking for good shore diving as an option, in addition to boat diving. FI looks to have a bigger beach area, wife likes the beach, but how does the shore diving and snorkling compare to that of AKR. AKR is more expensive, but if its worth it that's OK. AKR has the Dolphin encounter, which would be nice, but I don't want to base my decision on that. Does anyone know if either resort is more "shore dive friendly" than the other, such as ease of getting your gear to the site (we will be bringing all of our own gear except tanks), where you get your tanks from, stuff flike that. As far as the shore diving is concerned, would one be better than the other for quantity of sea life, health of reefs, size of the area to dive, etc.

Any of you thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

I have stayed at AKR and the shore diving there is pretty much non existant..boat goes out 3 times a day..I stayed at Coco view several times and the shore dives there are good..shares the same area with FI..so if you want to dive-dive -eat -dive-dive -eat-dive-maybe sleep go to FI..if 3 boat dives a day is enough for you then AKR would be fine..

Of the two choices FI has much better shore diving than AKR.

RoatanMan did a great post on the differences in the Roatan Resorts a while back. Do a search on his posts and you will fine it. Should be a benefit to you.

Was in Roataon at FI during their early stages of remodel this past April and enjoyed it greatly. Dive staff was great and boat rides short. Shore diving a walk away from your room....
Be sure to take MAJOR bug lotion (heavy DET) with you and cover yourself daily no matter where you stay as the "no-seeums' will eat you alive on the beaches without it. You'll come home looking like the chicken pox got ya!!!

WEnt to FI in late June, our package was 3 boat/day and unlimited shore; w/ one night dive. The diving was good walls ranging from 20' at the top to 90+ at the bottom; some were vertical some were sloping. The dives off the gazebo were great, The Prince Albert sits upright in 45' fsw with a good amount of critters, as well as the plane.

I would suggest fully exploring the reef and both the boat and plane!, I didn't get to the Reef off the gazebo until the last dive; very shallow (snorkelable) w/ a few stinrays and large puffers!!!

FIBR staff and accomodations are pretty good, I would stay in the rooms next to the dive shop if possible.

I have stayed at both AKR & FI within the last 2 years.

IMHO, the diving on the S side around FI is much better. The reefs look healthier - there is more (much more) live coral around. I would say there is more marine life to see on the S side.

Each place does 3 boat dives per day, with a night dive some time during the week. Both places have "unlimited" shore diving. It is easy to arrange at either place. You don't have to hump your gear very far, and they will drop off & pick up the tanks for you at the dive site. The shore dives are certainly worth doing, but I wouldn't base my decision on that.

AKR had the better dive op. My boat at FI broke down a couple of times, as did another one. The AKR nitrox "room" is well organized while the supply of nitrox at FI was rather unpredictable. We were discouraged at FI (by the head of the dive op) from analyzing our own nitrox because "it takes too long". AKR had a reg repair guy and a chamber on site; FI had neither.

The beach at FI is lovely - much better than anything at AKR. It has more of a "party" atmosphere, which you may find positive or negative, depending ... Both places have some decent shore-based activities, and rent things like kayaks and paddle boats.

We had a cabin at AKR on the small Key (or Cay) off-shore - first class accomodation. Our room at FI was cheaper, but certainly could not compare. I thought the food was better at AKR. The staff at both places was friendly and attentive.

In summary, if the real object of the trip is to hit the best dive sites, go to FI. If you want a more varied "family" vacation with some diving, pick AKR.

All of the above is great advice. Most have not done both and have no idea how to compare, the above posters know the terrain.

Two additional things to consider:

Any vacationer to Roatan can sign up for the Dolphin deal at AKR. Since most all who have experienced both the "dive" as well as the "snorkel" end up liking the snorkel better (more interaction of the touchy-feely type), most do this on their last day, usually the Friday off-gassing non-dive day. It makes no difference where you stay.

AKR, although much more of a "dive resort", has a huge set of steep steps that must be climbed to reach the dining facility. Maybe a non-issue for some, but a real consideration for others.

April should be nice weather for either side of the island.

Alex777:
One other thing - the Roatan shark dive is a "must do" event. You can do it from any hotel.

Yes Yes Yes I would do the shark dive again and agian and again...

Alex777:
AKR had the better dive op. My boat at FI broke down a couple of times, as did another one. The AKR nitrox "room" is well organized while the supply of nitrox at FI was rather unpredictable. We were discouraged at FI (by the head of the dive op) from analyzing our own nitrox because "it takes too long". AKR had a reg repair guy and a chamber on site; FI had neither.

All the boats ran fine and we were ordered to analyze our own NITROX... Just different travel times I guess.

For the shore diving FI, for the boats AKR, for the weather it is unlikely that there will be much difference, but between March and November the south side is usually rougher, the difference becomed much more significant between July and October when the south side is often very rough

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom