Roatan Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lurch

Registered
Reaction score
Going to Roatan in Feb and deciding what resort to go with. Either Anthoney's Key, Coco View, or Fantasy Island.
Advice on which of above is best/preferred and why as well as and must do dive sites.
Thanks

I have been to Anthonys key, and Cocoview Though I didn't dive with AK. Cocoview has an excellent dive operation, and the rooms were the nicest I have seen, IMHO Really nice professional DM's and staff. Foodservice was average, and there was a problem the time I was there, due to the smoke from burning trash. Someone else mentioned that same problem as well. They need to burn only when the wind is in the right direction. Food has been a problem in the past, with some folks getting sick, including me. But I understand that they have corrected this issue. A different outfit runs the food, and lodging, from the dive ops.
AK is also a very nice place. they have more dive boats, and nicer to boot, but as far as I am concerned, as long as it keeps running, and gets us all back safely, looks just cost you more. The boats are newer compared to CCV. One recent complaint was that AK is letting their grey water from sinks and showers, just run onto the ground, or into the bay, if the cabin is over water. I have spoken to a few people who have gone diving with AK, and they had nothing bad to say about it.
There is also Bay Island Beach Resort, and Paya Bay, as well as a few other I am not aware of to consider, if your interested.

I'll just add my 3 cents worth.

Always use the "search" feature on this site to read all that has gone before. Believe it or not, this subject has been discussed at least once previously!

A few corrections in regards to CCV: (CoCoView) There was indeed a food problem, but it was over all of the Bay Islands. CoCo View is the resort that found the root cause which was a government approved dairy vendor. CCV drew a lot of attention to themselves because they kept trying to find the cause. this was at every resort, and some actualy refused CCV's advice when the vector was isolated. It's done, it's over. I think the food is great!

CCV's boats are vastly different than any other resorts. They are 4 fifty foot boats that have to service a max of 52 guests. You do the math. It is uncommon to have more than 12 people aboard unless your own dive group demands that all 18 of you get on board. With all the shore dive allure that CCV offers, most dive boats go off with 8-10 aboard.

They are wheelchair accessible, whic, even if you don't need that kind of access, can you imagine how easy it is to get in and out of them? There is a hole in the bottom, middle of the boat with a ladder to come up if the boat is rocking. (boats dont rock in the center).

The dive operation is part and parcel of CCV. What the previuous poster was confused about is the relationship to CCV had by the Dive Store PADI Training Facility called Dockside Dive Center. DDC is an entirely different outfit. Every year when Rodales tries to rate dive operations, their responders and editors stumble over that one and cant figure out how to deal with the difference. Either way, the dive operation and the dive shop are first rate.

AKR uses standard Pro48 (?) boats. They're great boats, for out of the box boats. And- Like the poster above said--- IF they're running. This small caveat is shared by Fantasy Islands operation where they have continous mechanical problems. FIBR's boats are crude copies of CCV's boats. FIBR makes them from wood (unlike CCV's glass boats), and wood tends to harbor the no-see-ums. CCV lends boats to other resorts during break downs, but now requires a CCV capatin aboard to ensure they aren't loaded with 35 divers- which is something FIBR has tried to do. It makes CCV look bad, so why let that happen? CCV is constantly loaning tanks to FIBR and DockSide Photo does all of the E6 for FIBR, and FIBR adds a healthy delivery charge for running it over.

It is no surprise that so many of the winners of the Roatan Shoot Out stayed at CCV. The 24 hour a day shore dive is spectacular and so very easy. Literaly it begins just under your room!

The North side resorts of Roatan are also probematic- they are under a ridge line that shields them from the constant breezes bathing the South from the SSE. That helps knock the sand fleas (no-see-ums) off the resorts on the South side. Altho CCV is uncluttered with wind bloocking foliage and set right on the water, FIBR is heavily wooded and set far back from any breeze- more sand flies. Altho they share essentialy the same shore dive, FIBR has ruined their 700 foot u/w trail to the Prince Albert Wreck by continuous dredging of their big plus- a man made beach. They also have a pool, CCV has a hot tub. FIBR is geared to european schedules, and frankly, diving takes second place behind a lot of things. Spotty service is the norm.

AKR has excellent service and a great DM crew. It smells funny twice a day at low tide, and I think there are 85 steps up a hill to get to your food 3x a day. CCV has cabins that are over an active reef, they have one whole wall to the ocean that is completely screen. There is no real shore dive at AKR. It also serves as a thoroughfare for an entire village that tromps through twice a day. FIBR is a secured environment on its own island but seems to be teeming with many dozens of locals there for unknown and undisceranble reasons. CCV is also on an island and I'd be surprised if you would see more than 15 locals all week. Leave your cameras and watches on a table, no worries. they give out room keys, only because we Yanks think we need 'em. No reason to lock your unit. They have a (no kidding) elite security unit recruited, trained and led by the former Director of Honduran Military Airport Security. There's nothing to worry about.

BIBR claims a shore dive in their aptly named "spooky channel". Although this and other boards have ongoing tales of dreadful situations and breakdowns there, most posters still love the place- most likely due to the staff attitude which must be great or mixed with ample rum. Me? I don't like rum--- or surprises!

Okay, so I like CCV.

Paya Bay is a non issue. Do not even think about it.

Thanks for the input, my travel agent also recommended CCV, so sounds like it was a solid recommendation.

Thanks Again
Rob

After Reading Roatanmans post I wanted to add a couple more comments.
Everything he sais about CCV is exactly right. I didn't know the difference, (still don't) about the PADI training VS dive op. In fact it is one of the places that we are considering for March next year. I can reccomend them even though I had food issues, I would still go back, it all seems to be cleared up now. it's that good. Great place IMHO.
Roatan man, could you do your profile, so we can learn more about you? just curious.

Back
Top Bottom