Road Trip to Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

misstopsail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, i'm kind of considering a last minute road trip to florida over the thanksgiving break (no class pretty much all week!) to do some diving. Drive down one day, dive a couple days (up and down the coast), back to the ohio region by that sunday. Very relaxed, camping (yes, i will be camping *gasp*).
Anyways, anyone interested? Probably best offered to the single/no kids crowd, so the significant other doesn't get SUPER angry when you're gone on thanksgiving to go diving.

Let me know!

Haven't quite decided yet. Was planning on posting in the florida board about any good shore dives/not horrifically expensive charters, and then just finding a campground/state park around there.
You know of any good spots?

If you want to go on the cheap and do some easy diving, I would recommend diving the Florida springs. Many of them are in state parks and are really cheap to get in. They feature 72 degree, clear water. As an added bonus they are fresh water so you don't have to rinse your gear so thoroghly. Google Florida springs. The state had a really good website. At least they did a couple years ago. Personally my Favorite is Troy Spring. The spring itself is about 70 feet deep and there is whats left of a civil war era wreck in a channel that leads to the river. Ginnie, although privately owned and somewhat pricey is pretty interesting and worth the price of admission. They also have a dive shop and will fill tanks if they fit their "standards". Personally I'd plan on bringing my own air, but I have enough tanks to fill a small bus. LOL Have fun!

I've been diving all over SE and northern FL - I spent almost all winter there last year and most of this past spring, summer, and fall. There are so many interesting places. If I wasn't going to be in Mexico, I'd meet up with you and go. I just did that with someone else who was looking for a road trip buddy to the caves. I dive the caves (via the springs) and frankly, the idea of not thoroughly rinsing is a big attraction for me but there's not a ton to see in the springs themselves.
However, it depends what your goal is/what you want to see. I know some super cheap spots in SE FL and you can get some pretty inexpensive boats. there's some good shore diving in Fort Lauderdale and Pompano Beach. What do you want to see/do? The Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach is AWESOME - no one does that and doesn't enjoy it (from my experiences).
I'm a big fan of the reef drift dives in Jupiter but those are all boat dives.

If you have some specific goals/budget/things in mind, I'm sure we can help you narrow the focus and make some suggestions. You can have a great time.

I've been diving all over SE and northern FL - I spent almost all winter there last year and most of this past spring, summer, and fall. There are so many interesting places. If I wasn't going to be in Mexico, I'd meet up with you and go. I just did that with someone else who was looking for a road trip buddy to the caves. I dive the caves (via the springs) and frankly, the idea of not thoroughly rinsing is a big attraction for me but there's not a ton to see in the springs themselves.
However, it depends what your goal is/what you want to see. I know some super cheap spots in SE FL and you can get some pretty inexpensive boats. there's some good shore diving in Fort Lauderdale and Pompano Beach. What do you want to see/do? The Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach is AWESOME - no one does that and doesn't enjoy it (from my experiences).
I'm a big fan of the reef drift dives in Jupiter but those are all boat dives.

If you have some specific goals/budget/things in mind, I'm sure we can help you narrow the focus and make some suggestions. You can have a great time.

I don't have a cave/cavern cert, so can i even get in to the springs? I like ocean diving, and shore dives would be the preference (or those SE charters that are cheap)
I've never been to florida (aside from the Ft. lauderdale airport), so i really just want to get a taste of florida diving in general, which means i'm pretty flexible about where i go. In all honestly, this trip is just as much about getting away for a break as it is about diving.

I don't have a cave/cavern cert, so can i even get in to the springs? I like ocean diving, and shore dives would be the preference (or those SE charters that are cheap)
I've never been to florida (aside from the Ft. lauderdale airport), so i really just want to get a taste of florida diving in general, which means i'm pretty flexible about where i go. In all honestly, this trip is just as much about getting away for a break as it is about diving.

yeah you can dive the springs...some of them anyway.
however, I say stick with shore dives in salt (I'm a fan of springs/caves but for what you're seeking...). Go to Fort Lauderdale/Pompano Beach...there's a book on all the shore dives - may be worth picking up...or maybe even "Underwater Florida" which has a lot of good info. There are tons of shops in FL. Don't miss the Blue Heron Bridge if you can fit it in.
here's some info: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Florida, USA East. I almost wish I wasn't going to Mexico to dive the caves - I love showing folks around. You'll have fun.

by the way, posting about diving Florida in the Great Lakes section will probably get you fewer responses than hitting FL. Try the buddy finder, divebuddy.com, or go to the FL section. there's ALWAYS people looking to do it. Man I'd love a road trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom