Road Rash with Hydrocolloid Dressing: To Dive or Not to Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that's exactly what she's using. Tegaderm is a brand of Hydrocolloid dressing, according to google.

Tegaderm is a brand name for waterproof bandage, it is available with a variety of options, one of which is a hydrocolloid dressing. But most Tegaderm that you will see are just waterproof.

I think that's exactly what she's using. Tegaderm is a brand of Hydrocolloid dressing, according to google.

Here's a clicky link:
Diving Medicine

I stand corrected... brain saw Hydrocolloid, thought it sounded like a cream and skipped over the words waterproof dressing without putting it all together. That's what I get for speedreading.

Tegaderm is a brand of Hydrocolloid dressing, according to google.
Not at all. Tegaderm is a simple, thin, waterproof film while any hydrocolloid dressing includes an absorbent layer.
Tegaderm does not work well on wounds producing any kind of exudate, that would collect under the dressing. Hydrocolloid dressings absorb secretions, and are indicated for exudating wounds.
Unless the wound is pretty dry, dressing it with Tegaderm may not work well.

Hello,

I have a LOB to Socorro booked next week with the first dive day next Fri. Also planned to do a few pre-LOB land-based dives early next week . Then sadly, I crashed while cycling last Saturday. Got road rash on my elbow and bruises on my legs.

Now I have road rash covered in hydrocolloid dressing. It's been healing well, but I am not sure if it will be healed enough for next Monday's dive, which will be 9 days after the crash. I am hopeful that I will be ready for the LOB dives (13 days after the crash).

Any thoughts/wisdom to share? Anyone with experience diving in such situation? Hydrocolloid dressing is water proof. Can I keep it on when I dive?

Thanks!

Sue

Hi Sue,

If the wound is on your elbow, it's going to be nearly impossible to get a completely waterproof seal even with a hydrocolloid dressing, which in my experience aren't all that waterproof anyway. Is the abrasion shallow enough where it would be healed in 13 days?

Best regards,
DDM

Thank you all for the great input and discussion.

I went to see my family doc yesterday. The wound healed well after being covered under Duoderm CGF dressing for 5 days. No infection. Got green light for the LOB trip, but decided to skip the pre-LOB dives to allow more time to heal. Also picked up prescription antibiotic ointment and oral antibiotics, just in case.

@Duke Dive Medicine, fortunately, the road rash is an inch below the elbow. The dressing covers it pretty well. Not sure if it will be water proof, and I am hoping the wound would be mostly recovered by next Friday (still a week away). Thanks!

Sue

We used to use Allevyn Ag non adhesive dressings for road rash after dirt bike wrecks. Amazing stuff, road rash healed up quickly.

Silicone foam dressings like Allevyn are magic stuff. They're not very waterproof but they do absorb more wound drainage than hydrocolloids.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom