Riviera Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The diving is nice but not spectacular. depends of course on what you compare it to. I like the big stuff, particularly sharks, and you won't find those except for the occasional nurse shark. However, there is a good amount of fish (in my opinion more than in Cozumel) and lots of turtles. Also, when you dive out of puerto aventuras or playa del carmen you can quite reliably see schools of people size tarpon. and then there is the cenote diving which you should try. if you do it on your last dive day you don't have to rinse your gear anymore. there is also good snorkeling in puerto and akumal.

Another vote for Dennis with Diablo Divers. Dennis just bought Aquanauts. Dennis started out in the Riviera Maya as a guide, not only for cave dives, but also for the dry caves, ruins, jungle, etc. He's the way to go if you're looking for someone to help you plan the activities for your entire trip.

I would echo the recomendations for Dennis Weeks at Diablo (and now also Aquanuats). Dennis is originally from Alberta, Canada and is excellent both as a Divemaster and an instructor if you want to obtain additional certifications. Depending on where you are staying, he can pick up and drop off at your hotel. His dives will maximize your bottom times and, if you don't have your own gear, he has reasonably priced rental gear. I dove with him last fall and will again this November. One of his specialties is Cenote diving and, if you have never done this, it would be worth your while to spend one day doing a couple of these fresh water wonders. I do not recommend diving with the operators who work out of the major resorts as they maximize their revenue by doing quick turn-arounds. Dennis will be more economical and provide a better experience for the two of you. As for ruins Tulum is worthwhile but, now that it has made the list of The New Seven Wonders of the World, Chichen Itza would be the place to go. If you had the time Cozumel would also be worth a day trip and Dennis is working with a couple of Coz shops (Living Underwater is one and Jeremy is great) and can arrange pick up and drop off from the Ferry dock in Cozumel. Have fun.

Does anyone know what that resort is called with the 1000+ pools??? I know its on the coastline in Riviera Maya?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom