Riviera Maya, Playa del Carmen....where to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning to go to Cancun in December. Can anyone recommend places to stay along the Riviera Maya, between Cancun and Playa del Carmen. Wanted to stay at the Mayan Palace, but too expensive....please advise.

Just looked up the Mayan Palace on trip advisor. Not so good recent reviews. My wife and I are coming down in Nov/Dec and staying at Riu Palace Riviera Maya. Haven't been there yet, or any Riu resort, but feedback so far has been good as has all contact with them. With flight from WI we're paying $1800 for 4 nights which includes everything, taxes, transport, etc.

We stayed at Dreams Tulum last year and really liked it. We're coming back down in May of next year with a group of friends so we'll be scouting out a couple places while where there in Dec.

Don't know about the ones in PDC, but the RIU's are top notch in Cancun! You gonna be diving with Dennis Weeks?

Great to hear! This was on a short list of a few that we're considering for a group trip in May. Since my wife is turning 40 on 12/01 and I'm itching to dive again I thought I'd treat her to a long 4 night weekend and do some scouting for the May trip.

I'm actually trying to work something out with Jason from Fantasea Dive, aka playacountryboy for the time we're there and getting my advanced certification dives in. I'm doing my open water cert dives this weekend here at home in WI - gonna be chilly!

Who is Dennis and where does he work out of?

Ok, thanks for the information...paying much more than I intended, but so be it. Will be there Dec 14 - Dec 23, staying at the Rui Palace in Playa Del Carmen. If anyone else from SB is there around that time, lets get together.

PS. After my not-so-good experience in BVI in Jan this year, hope this trip makes up for it....woohoo, can't wait.

Dennis works out of Puerto Aventuras. His shop is Aquanauts and he is great. We own a condo in PA and I dive with him regularly. However, if you stay in Playa (or north of there) it'd be a bit of a pain to go there every day (20min one way). I would get in touch with PlayaCountryBoy. He seems to offer a very personalized experience.

Oops, that was the Rui Palace, not Mayan....will contact "PlayaCountryBoy" closer to the date.

Oops, that was the Rui Palace, not Mayan....will contact "PlayaCountryBoy" closer to the date.

Not that it will help too much by then but I'm sure when I get back I'll post about not only the dives I've got set up with Jason (the 5 advanced OW certification dives) but also about Riu Palace. We'll be there Nov 29 - Dec 3.

I can't wait!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom