Riu Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kbach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looks like I'll be heading to Costa Rica the 1st week in November, staying at the Riu in Guanacaste. The Mexicana Airline folding has us changing our plans to go to Huatulco Mexico. Not a big problem since I want to see Costa Rica as a possible retirement location too.

The wife says they (RIU) have a dive shop on the resort. Anyone heard how they are? I'll probably get a couple days to go out while she lays on the beach. Suggestions to maximize my adventure are welcome.

I read that the shop is Scuba Caribe (you can find them in google) and have heard positive things about it. I think that Scuba Caribe works with other Riu hotels (like Riviera Maya in MX).

Any idea what the water temperature is in late Dec/early Jan there?

Not positive of the water temp, but read one post that states low 80's with some spots mid 70's. I wear a 3 mil shorty and expect to be comfortable. I've been in contact with Scube Caribe and making reservations. I started out with this company in Mexico many years ago and got hooked. All my gear is sent out for annuals, so it's just a matter of waiting for the returns and packing things up.:D

Being Costa Rican, born and raised, I can tell you, water temperature rarely varies down here... I did 4 dives in that area, right in front of the RIU, and, though I don't have my log with me right now, can't say temp is less than 80F... a 3mm wetsuit kept me more than warm enough... Haven't used that dive shop, but read great things about deepblue-diving.com... They're not ON the property, but maybe 15min away, and can probably help you if needed with transportation needs... if anything... let me know

We dove with Scuba Caribe on the Riu property.

Temps: 80F on the surface, 68F at the bottom
Checkout dive was required.
Lots of beginner divers, whicih was a big if an issue with regard to air consumption.
Catallinas was the most fun dive with the current.

Overall, a very good experience. Did not see the big fish advertised but I did see a whale on the surface and lots of rays jumping out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom