Risky Behavior and UW Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I think so many of us are enthralled with the beauty we find underseas, that we often forget the wild environment we are encroaching upon. Especially, with the need to get close, and then even closer to take good pictures, I think the death of Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter) might be a timely reminder. Even some of the most docile creatures in the ocean can be deadly simply by their size and proximity. A sad occurrence, but utterly predictable based on past behavior, I'm afraid. Any thoughts on how it affects us?:shakehead

It's not going to change the way I take pictures. There's a difference between observation and interaction with animals. Getting close to and/or crossing the line between observation, and harassment are 2 different things. While Steve Irwin may have certainly been in favor of protection of animals, and a conservationist...his practices were risky, as you say in the title of the thread. He frequently challenged many of the wild animals, and put them in a defensive posture. I find it eerie that the stingray stuck him right in the heart... Could that even be a coincidence? What are the odds of a direct hit like that? This surely sounds like a highly tuned defensive maneuver by the stingray (I wonder if it could sense the heart was a good place to strike??)

When we get close to animals... we generally remain in a defensive posture... getting close, but not too close. As we've all seen on Mr. Irwin's TV shows, he frequently crossed the line of getting too close, and many of his practices would be considered "harassing" or "molesting" wildlife, which...

1) is illegal in many places.
2) can cause animals to retaliate

It IS a very sad occurance, but why would something like this change anyone's behavior, when we shouldn't really behave in this manner to begin with?

I say this with no disrespect to Mr. Irwin... He has done a lot to protect these animals, and he was a professional who was educated in animal behavior. Even the most careful person who interacts with wild animals understands the risks they take. We as recreational divers generally don't take those kinds of risks...

Larry C:
I think so many of us are enthralled with the beauty we find underseas, that we often forget the wild environment we are encroaching upon. Especially, with the need to get close, and then even closer to take good pictures, I think the death of Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter) might be a timely reminder. Even some of the most docile creatures in the ocean can be deadly simply by their size and proximity. A sad occurrence, but utterly predictable based on past behavior, I'm afraid. Any thoughts on how it affects us?:shakehead

Your post bothers me more.

Steve lived life on his terms and did more for the enviornment than if you post a million times.

His "past behaviour" was to educate millions and leave a legacy his children can be more than proud of.

No it will not change the way I go about taking pictures. I would have to agree with Howarde comment about Steve Irwin getting within inches of the animal. I will continue to keep my comfort, safe distance from the animal I am filming.

Larry, I agree with howarde, I won't change. I'm going to spend the next 3 months in areas that the Canadian and US governments advise against traveling to. If I was to worry about anything, it would be the land based animals...:wink:

Diver Dennis:
If I was to worry about anything, it would be the land based animals...:wink:

Lions and Tigers and Bears??

I think we as photographers do more to disturb the animals than anything they can possible do to us. Even though I try not to harass any marine life, I know the flash of my camera bothers them.

fairybasslet:
I think we as photographers do more to disturb the animals than anything they can possible do to us. Even though I try not to harass any marine life, I know the flash of my camera bothers them.
Bothering them with a flash, and molesting or touching is different.

Back
Top Bottom