RIP Solo Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue remains; if he had a buddy, he might have been rescued and resuscitated. Unanticipated medical conditions can be a death sentence to the solo diver.

Im not aware of a single incidence where someone with a heart or health problem underwater has been rescued or revived at all. For the medical problem incidents i seriously doubt a buddy is going to be of any help at all.

Title is inciting and lacks any real focus where if ever an outcome
to safer solo is to be achieved gagged agency puppets could avoid
participating with obvious impertinent conclusions amounting to:shakehead:

Actually you OP should P15s off
and devon diver stick to hose lengths

The issue remains; if he had a buddy, he might have been rescued and resuscitated. Unanticipated medical conditions can be a death sentence to the solo diver.

How many times has this happened? The A&I site has many a thread of divers dying right in front of their buddies due to medical reasons found out later. Medical issues underwater can be a death sentence in a crowd. I don’t see many near-miss threads of people having medical issues being saved by their buddies. Maybe I’m just missing ‘em. If someone has a stroke or cardiac issues and loses their reg, unless a buddy is right there within arm’s reach and focused on their buddy I don’t think the victim has much of a chance. How much water can an unconscious diver inhale in say 15 seconds? I’d rather take my chances then have a buddy tie a lift bag to me in a 130fsw and send me the surface, actually happened here a few years back. Not that you’d do that but you’re not here! Gota go I’m off to Newport for a solo dive,:shocked2: my partner backed out this AM.

I can't think of a better reason to solo dive.......You think I what some one that I call a friend to watch me die? thanks but no thanks I would rather do that solo as well.

Actually you OP should P15s off
and devon diver stick to hose lengths
Sorry if you feel so. The original intention was to relay the information and remind us all that the risk is not zero. No reason to close one's eyes. No flaming intended. Atleast I felt for the poor guy. And, I stand by my earlier decision to continue solo diving. This is an informed decision.

Unanticipated medical conditions is a death sentence to many people. For the people that go into sudden cardiac arrest, CVA, seizures, ect hope luck is on your side and you are not driving, diving, or sitting at home alone when it happens.

Sorry if you feel so. The original intention was to relay the information and remind us all that the risk is not zero. No reason to close one's eyes. No flaming intended. Atleast I felt for the poor guy. And, I stand by my earlier decision to continue solo diving. This is an informed decision.

Anyone that needs to be reminded the risks aren't zero shouldn't be diving at all. I call those accidents waiting for a time and place to happen.

The point is; he was in a training course under instruction. He had an instructor, dosen't that trump a buddy? May be we should turn the discussion to the poor quality of instruction and instructors these days.

As for the death sentance, we all live under one. I personally believe an individual has the right to make his own choices along the way.

Bob
--------------------
"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

One of the worst trainees i ever encountered is now an instructor. His whole attitude was wrong had no concept of safety and was one of the most slapdash people i ever had the misfortune to meet. Lord help his trainees they deserve better.

Back
Top Bottom