RIOceanographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LobstaMan:
It looks like a secret agent u/w invention of Q from a 1970's James Bond movie.

Lobstaman

Do you think I should have gone back to Q and demanded the Aston Martin instead? :06:

RIOceanographer:
Do you think I should have gone back to Q and demanded the Aston Martin instead? :06:

Maybe one of those mouthpiece cartridges that seems to allow Bond to breath endlessly underwater, even during a 4 minute battle with multiple attackers.

Now THAT's cool! No more tanks and would also end the "Backplate with wing/DIR" debate. :14:

jtoorish:
Do you believe the world is warming up overall...or just in selected placed, with some places actually cooling?

Jeff

Well, I am no climate modeler so it is certainly not my area of expertise, but I know a little about it.

Global warming means if you average all the temperatures everywhere on earth for all seasons, you will see an increase over time. As far as this goes the data isn't really very controversial amongst scientists (politicians is a different matter), global average temperatures are increasing. There really isn't any way around that fact. The only real questions are how fast, how much, and how will it affect the environment.

However, when we talk about global warming we are talking about global averages. If you look at specific locations, some places will warm more than others, and some may even experience cooling as the global average temperatures rise. Its like if you are talking about the stock market and you say the Dow Jones Average goes up, it doesn't mean every stock in the average also went up.

The reason this can happen is because near the equator the Earth gains more heat from the sun than it loses to space, and near the poles it loses more heat than it gains from the sun. So the daily temperature in any given location has a lot to do with how ocean and atmospheric circulation move heat around the planet. If you alter that circulation you can cool off some places even as the global average temperatures increase.

mikswi:
Maybe one of those mouthpiece cartridges that seems to allow Bond to breath endlessly underwater, even during a 4 minute battle with multiple attackers.

Now THAT's cool! No more tanks and would also end the "Backplate with wing/DIR" debate. :14:

007 preventing WWIII would be easy compared to ending the DIR wars! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom