Ring of Fire September 9-19, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ROF trip looks awesome Dan I really would love to do that trip as I dream of seeing Komba erupting as I surface from a night dive.

Sadly Komba is no longer active at the moment.. I hope it starts up again.. You get some nice smoke billowing out at Manuk but not nearly what Komba once was.
Which boat were you on for your trip?

Black Manta is the sister liveaboard of Blue Manta, I think.

Interesting info from Dive Spots of Banda Sea - Calico Jack Adventures about “Pulau Komba
A very much alive and active volcano,
it is well-known for its consistent eruptions which go off every 15 minutes, and the incredible number of dive sites along the reefs surrounding it. Giant coral formations, swarms of small fish, hunting dogtooth tuna and a plethora of other sea life patrol these waters.”
56C220FD-3114-432F-B426-8A7399FD0B29.jpeg

and
Alor, Pantar Strait
The reefs of Alor and the waters of Pantar Strait are some of the most pristine marine ecosystems throughout Indonesia. Apart from its immaculate coral reefs, stunning walls, sponges, and anemones, Alor is renowned for its immense variety of reef fishes and rich macro fauna. During the dry season (June to October), visibility can sometimes reach an incredible depth of 40 metres/130 feet. Frog fish, leaf scorpion fish, pygmy sea horses, eels, sea snakes and an impressive assortment of nudibranchs are just a few of the species you may encounter. With its exhilarating currents, big pelagic species often present themselves. Hammerhead sharks, reef sharks, thresher shark, Mola Mola (Sun fish) and pods of dolphin are spotted in this region frequently. Whales are also known to pass through.”

@dirtfarmer did you see thresher shark then?

Last edited:
No we departed from Ambon, that is why Komba wasn't on the itinerary. Nor anywhere close to Alor.
Yup Black Manta is the little sister to Blue Manta. Blue Manta was originally scheduled to have her first trip right after us but she hadn't been cleared to sail so the Manta Organization chartered another boat to replace the Blue Manta I'm sure that cost some $ but better that then cancelling a trip.

Last edited:
Not sleeping isn't the issue here...When he got me for it, I couldn't function at work until I booked it a few days later. :p He drives a hard case, doesn't he? I ended up booking on another boat with the same itinerary and am bummed to be missing out on a trip with some great Scubaboarders.

Black Manta was the sister ship. Now its just the Raja Manta and Blue Manta.

The Blue Manta had delays clearing some paperwork and the owner chartered another boat so that the guest would not miss the trip. Thats what i like about the manta boats. Damai also had very good service recovery when the volcano near Komodo erupted although it was something beyond their control.

Black Manta was the sister ship. Now its just the Raja Manta and Blue Manta.

The Blue Manta had delays clearing some paperwork and the owner chartered another boat so that the guest would not miss the trip. Thats what i like about the manta boats. Damai also had very good service recovery when the volcano near Komodo erupted although it was something beyond their control.

I found this info about Black Manta: KM Black Manta Liveaboard Review – Komodo Island, Raja Ampat, Indonesia Dive Boat Reviews

“The Black Manta has been sold and is no longer operating with the White Manta Fleet. We will update upon newer information.

Also, White Manta has re-flagged to Indonesia, apparently running the former Black Manta routes.”

White Manta Diving - KM Black Manta Trip Reports

“In the early hours of September 7th 2016 KM Black Manta entered the Indonesian Port of Maumere and prepared to bid farewell to it’s most recent group of guests. As usual those onboard had enjoyed a fantastic adventure both above and below the waves; spectacular diving, amazing food, great company and stunning sunset views, the difference? This would be the Black Manta’s last trip as part of the White Manta group. Whilst the KM Black Manta will sail on under new ownership this was an end of an era for our crew and guests onboard, saying goodbye to a vessel which has earned it’s reputation over the last 5 years as one of the premier liveaboards operating in Indonesia. Our Black Manta schedules will now switch to our new vessel, KM Raja Manta.”

Before moving to Indonesia, KM Raja Manta was MV White Manta, opening in Thailand.

Last edited:
Not sleeping isn't the issue here...When he got me for it, I couldn't function at work until I booked it a few days later. :p He drives a hard case, doesn't he? I ended up booking on another boat with the same itinerary and am bummed to be missing out on a trip with some great Scubaboarders.

That’s what this forum is for. It’s all about sharing. Sharing the good news, bad news, good trips, bad trips, good deals, bad deals, not being able to sleep for thinking about the amazing trips ahead, etc. :D

If I didn't book my Komodo trip my brother and I have been dying to do this trip.I was in Ambon last October and dove with many who came off this route and they had nothing but amazing things to say.

Back
Top Bottom