Rigid cuff for Suunto D5 on drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadaDan

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dove my D5 on my drysuit for the first time and found the buttons hard to get to and they were being pressed accidentally by my suit. I bought it for travel where it’s great but not ideal for drysuit use. Had an idea and found some options online but they were out of stock and looked easy enough to replicate.

Took an old slate, cut it down, sanded off the edges and corners, softened it in boiling water, wrapped it around some pipe with the right outer diameter with a couple of clamps and some butter knives as long edges, boiled it some more, cooled it off, cut a couple of slots for the straps and voila! Now the buttons are easy to get to and won’t be activated accidentally. Bonus is the plastic is just smaller than the suit cuff so it squeezes on and stays while I do up the strap.

04172125-AD2C-4C86-931A-7B55D60B8F8D.jpeg
84B2AF89-A561-4976-8D8B-8652B47F65BD.jpeg

Pleased to report it dives perfectly. Even managed to add an Eezycut Trilobite pouch to the strap.

Also found that the vibration alarm is easily felt through the cuff, suit and underlayer.

How did you cut the slots into the hard plastic? and, wouldn't be easier to change the strap with bungees? Just a thought...

How did you cut the slots into the hard plastic? and, wouldn't be easier to change the strap with bungees? Just a thought...

Rotary tool with a mini saw blade after drilling the ends of the slot if I remember correctly.

Bungee wouldn’t go on and off as easy with the drysuit cuff, I would also have to swap out when I switch to vacation diving over a bare wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom