Rig Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve's approach to diving with steels is to dive only LP85's and a bunch of AL80 stages.

You're not gonna get good info on diving a Florida style rig from him. He's ok with that. It's an alright online course, but I would agree that it is not comprehensive. Doesn't mean it doesn't have value.

Steve's approach to diving with steels is to dive only LP85's and a bunch of AL80 stages.
From memory most of the videos, if not all, where he's setting up and diving with steels he's using LP100s.

Oh and he has one video where he compares all sizes and pressure Fabers.

And what are you comparing the comprehensiveness to, an in water course? Of course it's not as good as that but if there's a better online course I'd love to know what it is?

LP85's in the videos I've seen. Unless he's updated all of the videos in his course with new footage of LP100's. Regardles, he has told me personally that he thinks that diving any steels other than LP85's with AL80 stages is dangerous and leaves you diving a dangerously unbalanced rig. His words directly to me.

He's entitled to his opinion.

Regardless, I disagree with the assertion that his course is comprehensive. It is not.

Regardles, he has told me personally that he thinks that diving any steels other than LP85's with AL80 stages is dangerous and leaves you diving a dangerously unbalanced rig.
Maybe for him who is fit AF and is over weighted with bigger, but for us who need lead even with twin 100s I can't see a problem.

Instead of being a smartarse why don't you tell me where you can get more information without doing an in water course?

You could do a search or ask a question at the link below. This would be far more beneficial than recommending your Lord and Savior of Sidemount, that does not even teach a non-Razor style rig. (This is from his own words) It is obvious from the OPs original question that he is using steel tanks that are falling down because he is using the "waist attachment system" which does not work well with steels. There is a reason steels are normally attached to butt plates with door handles. You can alleviate the issue to a small degree by replacing the "slider" tri-glides with regular tri-glides and shortening the attachment leashes.

Sidemount Diving

Your above statement also implies that Mr. Martin is the knower of all knowledge. This is more inaccurate than accurate. Mr. Martin is awesome at Razor style sidemount diving with aluminum tanks, no one would debate that, but short of that there are plenty of places to get better more accurate sidemount info regarding steel tanks and non-Razor style sidemount rigs.

You could do a search or ask a question at the link below. This would be far more beneficial than recommending your Lord and Savior of Sidemount, that does not even teach a non-Razor style rig. (This is from his own words) It is obvious from the OPs original question that he is using steel tanks that are falling down because he is using the "waist attachment system" which does not work well with steels. There is a reason steels are normally attached to butt plates with door handles. You can alleviate the issue to a small degree by replacing the "slider" tri-glides with regular tri-glides and shortening the attachment leashes.

Sidemount Diving

Your above statement also implies that Mr. Martin is the knower of all knowledge. This is more inaccurate than accurate. Mr. Martin is awesome at Razor style sidemount diving with aluminum tanks, no one would debate that, but short of that there are plenty of places to get better more accurate sidemount info regarding steel tanks and non-Razor style sidemount rigs.

While not all packaged up in lesson form, I am pretty sure SB covers all the bases with technical discussion by experts regarding all aspects of conditions vs gear selection vs gass planning vs dive profile etc etc etc...
Can't find something?
Ask.
I'm enjoying the process of learning here but I suppose some would prefer to follow a leader.

I read basically all the threads here before taking my SM class. It helped me tremendusly when I took my tec SM course as had I a great in-depth knowledge of what right should looks like prior to the cour. Thank god i didn’t age to call shananigans on my instructor as he was top notch. Do your research here, it pays off 10 fold.

Back
Top Bottom