"Riding your Computer Up" vs. "Lite Deco"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But solo diving is no longer OW recreational diving, at least as defined by all the major agencies that teach it.

I just got my SDI Solo Diver cert. AFAIK, it's not tech diving. The course specifically teaches that you are not to go solo for any dives EXCEPT true open water (no caverns or wreck penetrations) within recreational limits. So, if it's not recreational diving, what is it?

Got links to these different agency's definitions that say solo is not OW recreational?

Solo. Aggressive NDL limit. Gas planning and redundancy. Deco ascent.

My work is done, here.

Seriously, think about it. It is way past time for the Luddite US agencies to catch up with BSAC...

Ha ha hahaaa!! Is the stew getting too thick for you to keep stirring the pot?? :wink:

Solo diving is absolutely recreational diving. I have a SDI solo cert, not a TDI solo cert.

What I meant is that solo diving is not taught in the major agencies' OW certification classes. You might not call it 'technical' but it is not standard recreational diving practice without additional training. I'm not saying that nobody should do it (I do), but by doing so we are definitely breaking from the standard protocol taught in our cert classes. Hence the specialty course that you took.

Diving deeper than 60' is also not taught in OW certification classes.... Nor night diving. Nor diving with Nitrox or Drysuit (though those are sometimes taught in conjunction with OW cert classes).

Back
Top Bottom