Riding Rock Resort and Marina, San Salvador

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure how helpful this is, but my recent comparison is Lighthouse reef in Belize, and I felt like San Sal had less larger life than there.
About morays in particular, Betsy (our dive guide) mentioned that there are many deep in the crevices. We didn't see as many in the day as I was used to, but we also did not do much night diving.

About morays in particular, Betsy (our dive guide) mentioned that there are many deep in the crevices. We didn't see as many in the day as I was used to, but we also did not do much night diving.
No hammerhead?

No hammerhead?
Oh I forgot! There was a hammerhead, but it was pretty deep and far off, so I didn't see it.

Reactions: mbs
Back in the day when I was there, the giant crabs and lobsters were really plentiful. No sharks...

Thank you for this great thread. I‘m in the planning stages for a trip to San Sal for the resumption (finally!) of the biennial Science Symposium at the Gerace
Research Station (aka the Bahamas Field Station). I’m hoping to do as I did a decade or so ago and go to the RRI several days early for some diving and general R&R. BTW, is Peaches still tending bar? A deep see fishing boat docked there last time I was there and they brought a big fresh caught Wahoo for the cook to prepare. Everyone at well that night! 😋😋

Froggie 🐸

7C066AAF-3726-48B3-9C6D-0745E59638BD.jpeg2D7F2F49-3C88-4972-8111-A1BB53C785CF.jpeg

Back in the day when I was there, the giant crabs and lobsters were really plentiful. No sharks...
No sharks? I’ve seen Nurse, Reef, and Hammerhead Sharks over the years as well as some really big Barracuda a Sea Turtle or two and, and, and…
I can’t wait to get back!!
🐸

Well, I talked to Michelle @ the RRI and she said she couldn’t guarantee diving unless they had a group. Apparently they only dive when the place has a bunch of divers all at once. What a shame, since they were the first dive-dedicated hotel in the Bahamas nearly a half century ago!
so, I’m back to plan B, spending a few days in Nassau and diving with the always-reliable Stuart Cove, then flying out to San Sal for my conference at Grace Research Center. Maybe as I get active diving again I can “lure” a group to go to the Bahamas and dive San Sal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom