Riding Rock Resort and Marina, San Salvador

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d^2b

Worse diving through photography
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone had recent contact with the Riding Rock Resort on San Salvador Bahamas? We talked to them early this calendar year, ended up going somewhere else. Now they seem to be MIA, not answering the phone or email. The web site is up and running, but I don't know how much that means.

I spoke with Betsy a few minutes ago. I sent you her contact information. She doesn’t know why normal channels aren’t going through.

Thanks! I'm not sure what changed, but the second email address you passed on seems to have worked, and the 800 number worked on the first try :confusing:.

Thanks! I'm not sure what changed, but the second email address you passed on seems to have worked, and the 800 number worked on the first try :confusing:.
Glad to hear you have it sorted and it was just a hiccup instead of a real problem.

Mini-report for July 14-25: we had great time, and do recommend. The rooms are clean and nice enough. Well air-conditioned which is probably a deal breaker in July. Betsy [0] is one of the best finders-of-tiny-things that I have dove with. I finally did a bunch of dives with a 30mm macro (on mu43, equivalent to 60mm on full frame) without regrets [1].

My wife thought there could have been a bit more food variety (perhaps because we were there for 10 days instead of the usual week). I didn't mind it at all, but then I am good with fried seafood, at least when diving. I don't think there are (currently) many other options for eating than the restaurant at RRI.

We fell in with, and mostly dove with a group from Ohio (hi Mike!). That can go either way, but it was great. There were around 10 of us on the day boat, which was not annoying, and they were fun to hang out with between dives.

Getting there from Canada was a bit of a challenge, we ended up overnighting at the Orange Hill Inn in Nassau in both directions, which was also fine. Good restaurant in the Hotel, and good if basic accommodations. Self-service bar is a great concept for us cheapskates (or bad depending on how you view things 🍻 )

[0]: https://tethera.net/photo/2022/07_san_salvador/img_0027.jpg
[1]: Riding Rock Inn, San Salvador, July 2022

Thanks for the report! It sounds like things haven't changed much since we were at the Riding Rock Inn on San Salvador 31 years ago in 1991! We even stayed at the Orange Hill Inn on Nassau on the way to/from the island and I also remember their Honor Bar!

I think that was the trip when they weighed each passenger before boarding the small aircraft. That was the first trip when we ever used a dive computer. We rented an Orca Skinny Dipper to "try it out" and we never went back to calculating repetitive groups again!

You mentioned seeing lots of tiny critters and macro diving but did you also encounter many bigger animals? I saw your photos of the beautiful small critters and some reef sharks (and they're great!) but I dug out my old log book and found references to hawksbill turtles, eagle rays, morays, lobsters, black-tip sharks, and a whole lot of groupers. Is there still abundant sea life on the reefs of San Sal?

And I think that was the first trip that I ever remember seeing algae growing on the reef. It wasn't bad back then but it didn't take long before algae became abundant all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

Getting old isn't fun but I'm glad that we started diving a long time ago because that gave us the chance to see some of these beautiful places when they still more pristine.

I was there in '89 for my first dives after certification. I slept on a couch in MIA on St. Patrick's Day evening to catch a morning flight out. Yeah, not only weighed, but I sat in the co-pilot's seat...

The customs shed was "interesting"...

The groupers were big, plentiful, and like puppy dogs. Some beautiful black coral. Turtles too....

It was a magical place for a first timer...

I was there in '89 for my first dives after certification. I slept on a couch in MIA on St. Patrick's Day evening to catch a morning flight out. Yeah, not only weighed, but I sat in the co-pilot's seat...

The customs shed was "interesting"...

The groupers were big, plentiful, and like puppy dogs. Some beautiful black coral. Turtles too....

It was a magical place for a first timer...

It sure was magical! We were both there before they built the Club Med and the larger airport and runway on the island to accommodate all the Club Med guests. They had a very tiny airfield and I remember some broken, small, junk planes in the grass near the runway. It really was a remote location and a lovely, tropical dive destination.

You mentioned seeing lots of tiny critters and macro diving but did you also encounter many bigger animals? I saw your photos of the beautiful small critters and some reef sharks (and they're great!) but I dug out my old log book and found references to hawksbill turtles, eagle rays, morays, lobsters, black-tip sharks, and a whole lot of groupers. Is there still abundant sea life on the reefs of San Sal?
Not sure how helpful this is, but my recent comparison is Lighthouse reef in Belize, and I felt like San Sal had less larger life than there.

Back
Top Bottom