Riding a DSMB up from a deep wreck???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Works great. You modulate your ascent by paying the line out. The SMB is at the surface before you hit your first stop. After learning this, I prefer this method to anything except ascending on an anchor line. I also like to go quite negative on the wreck before inflating the SMB. For me, it slows down the process so I can get through the number of things I am dealing with once the SMB starts to fly. The ascent is not meant to be faster than any other method you might use. Just more efficient, in my humble opinion.

Very cool. I was wondering how to modulate the ascent. Makes perfect sense. I'm definitely gonna try it. I see you're down here. Maybe we'll end up on the same boat one day and I can watch.

Goobery.

If you find yourself needed two hands you no longer have an SMB. It’s up-up-and-away.

That's a valid point for sure. If you're on an anchor line in current though and need two hands you lost the line. Not to argue because you make a very valid point worth thinking about. When would one need two hands on an open water ascent though? Unless you're doing gas switches on the fly which I've seen done (I don't do it) .I can't think of an instance personally.

Im hoping to take classes there in the spring, maybe I'll find out then. That dive didn't look too sidemount friendly though.........

Me too. He's only running a couple so maybe I'll see ya there.

That's a valid point for sure. If you're on an anchor line in current though and need two hands you lost the line. Not to argue because you make a very valid point worth thinking about. When would one need two hands on an open water ascent though? Unless you're doing gas switches on the fly which I've seen done (I don't do it) .I can't think of an instance personally.
Well, donating gas, for starts.

Call me old fashioned but I think that’s kinda important.

Additionally, if it’s positive, that means YOURE (the royal you) negative, so together you’re neutral. Let go and now you’re negative. Not good.

At least with an anchor line you can wrap your arm around it while you sort out your two hand business. With a positive SMB I think the odds of it gettin away from you are pretty high.

Gas sharing... Good point.

I did a couple courses with Chatterton back in April / May. The way he taught this was to exhaust air from your BCD into your DSMB at depth but hang onto it. This keeps you neutrally buoyant (assuming you were previously - I suppose you could say it just maintains your buoyancy however it was previously). You release the DSMB when it gets to be too positive at a shallower depth, and then you have a line to help hold your stops if need be. I can't say whether it is advocated by any agency or not, but I thought it was a pretty good idea... I mean, as long as you don't royally screw up the execution and somehow get yourself tangled or something (though arguably, screwing it up using an octo or inflating using exhaust bubbles from your reg could end just as badly).

Cool thanks for the input @freename . I'm liking the idea and am going to give it a shot.

At least with an anchor line you can wrap your arm around it while you sort out your two hand business. With a positive SMB I think the odds of it gettin away from you are pretty high.

You can also wrap legs around an anchor line. (Don't ask how I know this ...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom